Renos are tough....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
We have a home which as a tiny entrance way...the front door almost contacts the newel post for the stairs...

My wife and I contracted out to the best home builder/renovator in the area...As I am retired with little else to do, I have been helping out by moving around materials and providing meals and snacks to the workers. It is interesting to learn what it takes to put a 50 sq foot addition to a house...it's as challenging as building a whole house.

Only a bit more to do, wiring, insulation, dry wall, floor and paint...it already feels better to be able to stand in my entranceway and be able to move.

I'll take pictures once done.

only the man says. I have read it is sometimes cheaper to tear a house down and build from scratch than renovate. Having done 2 bathrooms I can see how that could be

I’m fortunate enough to have a house that needs no work done at all, my place is 18 years old, brick with a tile roof, concrete slab floor, aluminium double glazed windows, fully insulated and ventilation system installed, small enough to heat for me and my dogs, but big enough to live comfortably with 2 bedrooms. I have a block construction double garage, quarter acre section, in a small town 38kms from the city. . . Perfect!!
I’m looking forward to your Reno pics, I love looking at other people’s places
What’s it going to cost to have this extension done if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m guessing around 10k?

Last edited:
I’m fortunate enough to have a house that needs no work done at all, my place is 18 years old, brick with a tile roof, concrete slab floor, aluminium double glazed windows, fully insulated and ventilation system installed, small enough to heat for me and my dogs, but big enough to live comfortably with 2 bedrooms. I have a block construction double garage, quarter acre section, in a small town 38kms from the city. . . Perfect!!
I’m looking forward to your Reno pics, I love looking at other people’s places
What’s it going to cost to have this extension done if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m guessing around 10k?
$10K...?? I wish, it will be $30K all said and done....renos are expensive around here and few do them as they are more into new home construction. And the company we got is the best.

We figure to recoup our investment if we ever sell as before, the entrance was so small, more than 2 people couldn't stand in it at once. It was something we planned on improving ever since we saw it. We moved here out of military housing so this was a big step up for us.

only the man says. I have read it is sometimes cheaper to tear a house down and build from scratch than renovate. Having done 2 bathrooms I can see how that could be
You're not wrong there...they had to cut and remove brick...it was a bear to prep before new construction began...these guys have skills though, everything is perfectly plumb and the old and new floors fit perfectly.

You're not wrong there...they had to cut and remove brick...it was a bear to prep before new construction began...these guys have skills though, everything is perfectly plumb and the old and new floors fit perfectly.
I bought a 1000 square foot condo(apartment) in NY.... less than 100 miles from NYC.... for 55K..... lol.... from my old landlord... he was being foreclosed on and was desperate...… its gonna be worth triple that soon.... my mortgage is less than the taxes!!!!!! tell me how that is possible........

I bought a 1000 square foot condo(apartment) in NY.... less than 100 miles from NYC.... for 55K..... lol.... from my old landlord... he was being foreclosed on and was desperate...… its gonna be worth triple that soon.... my mortgage is less than the taxes!!!!!! tell me how that is possible........
You done real good there mate, 55k is a steal, tell me, what do you mean by taxes, is that the condo fees ?

You done real good there mate, 55k is a steal, tell me, what do you mean by taxes, is that the condo fees ?
Hi. We have 57 acres of land 2 ponds privet beach on a lake 1 cold spring. A lot of deer foxes birds snakes. We use solar panels and windmills and we only use wood for heat. The nearest house is a 1/2 mile away. We sell hay, wood and cranberries.

lol.... its basically rent money we pay to the government.... FOREVER.... and if we don't pay our taxes(school and land tax).... so if we don't pay the tax they demand..... the home no longer belongs to us... even if the mortgage is paid in full.... its all a big goddaym hustle.... the hustle never ends.

lol.... its basically rent money we pay to the government.... FOREVER.... and if we don't pay our taxes(school and land tax).... so if we don't pay the tax they demand..... the home no longer belongs to us... even if the mortgage is paid in full.... its all a big goddaym hustle.... the hustle never ends.
Lol ‘the Hustle’

You're a government employee. Taxes literally pay your salary....

this job I do...…… life expectancy is 53...….. ill leave it at that,... this was my best friend.... didn't make 50...…. growing up in harlem in the 80s in Harlem didn't kill him.... I have a guess at what did though. RIP
00117_n-jpg-_nc_cat-104-_nc_ht-scontent-lga3-1-jpg.jpg

so im paying myself? let me tell u something.... I would like to see u do my job.
Here we go.... you're nothing if not predictable.
My point was that taxes are used to fund lots of things, your salary included. Nothing more. No need to put on your keyboard toughguy outfit,

Here we go.... you're nothing if not predictable.
My point was that taxes are used to fund lots of things, your salary included. Nothing more. No need to put on your keyboard toughguy outfit,
im a toughguy by PROFESSION..... don't get it TWISTED...…… and ive never been off my feet inside that place,...….. 13 years... almost 14.
a-sign-in-blue-saying-new-yorks-boldest-H6H7T6.jpg

Last edited:
Back