Removing wheel bearings.

Lyrikz

Registered
Im sending the rims off to the chromer and i want to remove my wheel bearings. It looks pretty straight forward. I was going to just tap them out.

Any one here removed them or just had them done and forget about it???

Tips and advice.. Thanks..

You may wanna change your bearings since they're gonna be out. RSD put a good topic out about the bearings sucking a$$. He recommended getting dual-sealed bearings.

Lemme see if I can find that post...be back in a min..

You may wanna change your bearings since they're gonna be out. RSD put a good topic out about the bearings sucking a$$. He recommended getting dual-sealed bearings.

The bearings have less then 600 miles on them.. NO need to be changed...
cool...your bike, your choice. But do me a favor and take a look at this thread. It may be of interest to you.

Just a thought but, if you can tap them out by the outer bearing race, fine, but if you have to tap by the inner race, you can leave small dents on the balls themselves, which can lead to premature failure of the bearing.
The bearings and seals are fairly cheap especially if you don't buy OEM (double seals), it may be cheap insurance to replace them.....but hey it's your bike
smile.gif

The bearings have less then 600 miles on them.. NO need to be changed...
cool...your bike, your choice. But do me a favor and take a look at this thread. It may be of interest to you.
Thanks for the link. His bike has 15000 miles on it.. Thats ALOT.. And that bearing had some SERIOUS poop with it... Im just going to pay the shop 25 bucks to pop out the bearings... not two worried.. I might be able to weasel the dealership into poppin em out while they take off my tires..

Ill have pics when im all done.. Cant wait..

yeah...but you see what he's getting at, right? With the bearings only sealed one side, it builds up all that gunk and funky stuff.

Again it's up to you what you do...it's your bike. But I would recommend that since your wheels are off, it wouldn't hurt to make the switch.

Have fun blingin' those wheels, bro!
biggrin.gif

yeah...but you see what he's getting at, right? With the bearings only sealed one side, it builds up all that gunk and funky stuff.

Again it's up to you what you do...it's your bike. But I would recommend that since your wheels are off, it wouldn't hurt to make the switch.

Have fun blingin' those wheels, bro!  
biggrin.gif
Oh, i will. ahaha..

I wasnt going to go chrome, but the black rims just do NOTHING for the bike.. NOTHING at all.. Sucks...  I was going to polish the lips and do the insides metallic blue.. But decided against it.. Then i was going to go silver rims but the WHOLE rear end is silver

Hey man I did mine and getting the races out sucks. I have friends thatown a shop there is a special tool to get them out they lent me the tool and helped me use it LOL. I reused my bearings but installed all new seals. Check out my wheels

Chrome_Wheels.jpg

Hey man I did mine and getting the races out sucks. I have friends thatown a shop there is a special tool to get them out they lent me the tool and helped me use it LOL. I reused my bearings but installed all new seals. Check out my wheels
That is THE EXACT same thing i was going to do wiht my rims... So, you had them chromed, then you had them anodized??? Did sport chrome do the anodization?? They look REALLY good man.. I am also going with sportchrome also.. I am sending them out monday...

Im having the dealer pop off the tires and the bearings today.. Packing them up and shipping em out monday, do you know if UPS or FED EX is open on saturaday??

I like how you did your rims, I was thinking about doing that to mine except for chrome and then the center orange. But I did not know if they could do that so I just am having them solid chrome.

Back