Removing the front fairing.

busabuddy

Registered
Hi,
I'm a newbie here and have a couple of questions I couldn't find answered from past posts.
I low-sided my busa yesterday after hitting some gravel and fortunately suffered only cosmetic damage to the bike. I removed the side fairing and started to remove all visible bolts from the front fairing and realized the lights etc. must be attached somewhere. It's hard to see exactly where it's connected inside. Should I get it removed at a shop or is it a matter of simply finding a couple of screws?
Second question, a friend of mine suggested bringing the fairings to a good auto body shop and have them paint them and send away for new decals. He said it would be much cheaper than replacing them and that the quality should be good. What do you guys think?

custom paint the whole bike.. probably won't cost much more than returning it to factory conditions to be honest.

The front fairing comes off even easier than the side ones....if you know where to look. First remove the two rear view mirrors (4 bolts), then remove the 6 front to side fairing bolts (3 each side). Then look under the nose for the push-pin plastic retainers. push in the center of each and pull out the whole retainer, I think there are 4? Now simply grab the top of hte fairing from the front and pull outward so the fairing top edges clear the mirror bosses.
The whole unit will come off - lights and all. There is a cable still connected between the fairing and the bike. The connecter is unplugged where the two fairings come together on the right side (looking at the bike). It is easier to do if some one unplugs it while you hold the loose nose fairing. Otherwise it is wrestling match trying not to drop the fairing.

Thanks a million SierraFlyer, I got it off.  My original mistake was in thinking that the lights where somehow more connected to the front assembly.
Now I just have to decide whether to just have the 4 damaged parts painted (the front, right/left fairings, and the front fender) or as a friend suggested, remove all and go for a custom paint job.
My only problem now is, the guy who I contacted who does paint jobs says it will cost me less if I remove the decals.
Question, how do I remove the tank decal, it looks like it is on there differently than the others?

The tank decal is under the clear coat finish put on at the factory. In short, you can't remove it without sandblasting the tank. Can you work the logo into the custom paint design?

If you've got the tank off and plugged, get some 500 grit wet/dry sand paper and wet sand the clear coat off the decals, then peel them off. Use a plastic scraper to help peel the edges up, rubbing alcohol works good on the glue residue. Check out tapeworks.com for cool custom decals.

Go for the whole custom Busa!!!!!

Thanks for the advice on removing the tank decals.  I'm learning quickly here.  When the guy suggested I remove the decals to save money I didn't realize that he meant the entire grey stickers (a friend told me).  Heck, I didn't even realize they were stickers!!  Sounds like it may be easier to just have the guy sand them, or whatever he does, off for me instead.
So now that I have decide to go custom on the whole thing, I am stuck with the ultimate dilemma -- WHAT COLORS!!!!!
Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!  I like the silver/grey combo alot and worry I will look back and say "what did I do?"
I asked my wife what she thought of gold/red (I'm a 49ers fan) and she pointed her finger to her throat.
.......I think this may take me a while (and I really want to get back out for a ride!)

You know, I saw a mod on this board that would work for you. It was Thinker or Rhythm (or another equally creative member) that had Kanji Hayabusa stickers made and they applied them to the mirrors prior to painting. They color matched the bike on these mirrors and then clear coated them. The effect was subtle but very cool. The stickers raised the paint where they were applied - like the mirrors were embossed. The color was all blue but you could see and feel the outline of the Kanji.

I was thinking that your tank sticker is under the clear coat and will take nothing short of sanding it all off to remove it. Maybe you might want to leave it and just paint over it to get that same embossed effect. You could leave it one color or have someone hand paint the raised sections to make them stand out at a distance?

This might save you time and money?

For my preference, I would custom paint the whole thing if I were in your position. I think the stock grahics and stickers distract from the great lines this bike has. A single color sceme helps show off the lines much better. For an example just look at the drag bikes that have custom paint. Very cool. And if you ever need to touch up, you will not have to paint multiple colors to get it looking right. Just grab the leftover paint........

SierraFlyer, I tried to do a search to find a look at Thinkers or Rhythms bikes but couldn't find them.  So, if you know where to look tell me.  Anyway, I like your idea of going custom and laying low on the decals.  I also agree, a single color scheme would be cool, some shade of silver, with just a couple of suzuki decals for simplicity, to emphasize the lines.  
I mentioned the idea of leaving the tank decal on, leaving the embossed look, to the guy I'm thinking of having paint it, and and he suggested sanding if off would be easier for him.
Over the phone he estimated the costs at around $1000.  I'm a little shocked, I thought a single color might lower the price. I told him that I already removed all the parts.
Anybody know anyone in the Sacramento region who might be cheaper with good quality?  What can I do on my end to maybe get a better deal?  Are the stickers (the silver color) that hard to remove?
Thanks for all the help!

SierraFlyer, I tried to do a search to find a look at Thinkers or Rhythms bikes but couldn't find them.  So, if you know where to look tell me.  Anyway, I like your idea of going custom and laying low on the decals.  I also agree, a single color scheme would be cool, some shade of silver, with just a couple of suzuki decals for simplicity, to emphasize the lines.  
I mentioned the idea of leaving the tank decal on, leaving the embossed look, to the guy I'm thinking of having paint it, and and he suggested sanding if off would be easier for him.
Over the phone he estimated the costs at around $1000.  I,m a little shocked, I thought a single color might lower the price. I told him that I already removed all the parts.
Anybody know anyone in the Sacramento region who might be cheaper with good quality?

If you find someone you like in Sac to paint your bike, please share the lead. I may be going custom on the paint this winter. The stickers they used under the paint were the same material as the paint. Polyurethene I think. That way the paint won't melt the sticker and will stick to it.

Well I showed my parts to the guy who I am having paint it.  I wanted to go custom but balked at the additional cost of $350 dollars to throw in the tank and rear cowling (that were untouched).  So, he's going to color code it and return it to its original silver/grey.  I only pray it matches close enough.  I'll go custom on the decals though -- might as well change the look a little bit.
It'll take him a few weeks, but I'll get back to you and let you know how it ended out and pass on the name.  In the meantime I'm going crazy having to wait -- is this what it's like to go through having withdrawals!?

Back