Removing Pair Valve bracket from Crankcase?

I think I read somewhere today that many guys do but then just use a coupe of screws to "dress" the holes as the article put it.

If you remove the bracket from the motor make sure that you re torque the case bolts that you remove!

oh boy... i really like the idea of it but brock at brocks performance didnt recommend it??? also, should i put washers in there to account for the space the bracket use to take up?

he also said that we are then tightening the bolts out of sequence and something about holding the crankshaft in place??

no, didnt see a reason in to putting bolts back in. no one looks down there.. only things i put back was the mounts for the radiator and oil cooler

any other input?... and nicholas, is your crankcase leaking where you removed those bolts?

Surely there would be some sort of seal or gasket if those bolts were intended to stop oil from exiting the block ? Just looked at the parts fiche and I don't see any seals. :dunno:

i just did it, removed the main bracket with the two 8mm bolts, reinstalled bolts with no washers... p.s. oil filter needs to be removed to remove bolts

Those bolts that hold the bracket go through and hold the crankcase to the cylinder head so don't leave them out!

I wish I left my bracket in. I removed the bolts and I did get a tad bit of oil from one of the bolts holes. When reinstalling the bolts I was torquing the bolts to 18ft lbs (I think it was) and snapped one off. That is what I get for using the torque wrench with and 12" extension due to the header being in the way. So I removed the header to tap it out and it has held so far. Again, if I had to do it over again I would have left the bracket.

Last edited:
Those bolts that hold the bracket go through and hold the crankcase to the cylinder head so don't leave them out!

I wish I left my bracket in. I removed the bolts and I did get a tad bit of oil from one of the bolts holes. When reinstalling the bolts I was torquing the bolts to 18ft lbs (I think it was) and snapped one off. That is what I get for using the torque wrench with and 12" extension due to the header being in the way. So I removed the header to tap it out and it has held so far. Again, if I had to do it over again I would have left the bracket.

Sorry for your experience, I may just learn from it as that is the next thing I'm considering.
BTW, 18 ft lbs as I understand it is the effect of gravity on an 18 pound weight at the end of that 12" torque wrench. Doesn't seem like nearly enough to snap a bolt head off, I wonder if it was already flawed when you went to tighten it ?

Also, What has everybody done with the thin little tube that runs from the unit to somewhere under the airbox ?

oh those, i was replacing my second gear and just put the bolts back and i dont have a leak or anything but im not sure if it would be so easy just taking them out while the engine is together

Back