Removing packing from can

arthur39

Registered
got a Micron Can on my turbo, was tuned with the can, I was cleaning it up and realized it was fully packed with the sound proofing, if I remove it would it affect the map it was tuned for? I like the sound without it :)

repacked it to be on the safe side, I will post up pics of the new jet coat sleeve and the jet coated mid pipe shortly. If anyone knows if packing affects the map please let me know, i might want to take it out later. thanks

i'm not sure if the packing affects back pressure, as the baffle will remain in place, it is a straight baffle with holes in it, then a screen that has fiberglass rope wrapped around it then finally some insulation over the rope, I would think removing it would not do anything to back pressure since the gases are still flowing through the baffle. So i'm baffled on this one :rofl: wonderin if anyone has dynoed or data logged a pipe with and without packing to see if it changes a/f. Anybody???

Without the packing you can "burn" or heat stain your muffler
and packing will not interfere with exhaust flow ,
I sort of feel that a lack of packing could disrupt the flow of gasses more

Oz is right. If you just want to make it louder and still look stealth. Then I'd say you need to make a replacement insert without the holes.

Back