Removing kotter pin for rear stand

Rongotti

Registered
I put my busa up on my friends stand this weekend and am wondering the importance of that pesky pin that took me 20 min to put back in. can I remove it? or does it have some significant value?

What pin are you refering too?

Generally kotter pins are there for a pretty good reason. So if it's on your stand I would be inclined to leave it.

If it's on your Busa, and your talking about the rear axle Nut and Kotter key? I'd say your Fugged in the head for even thinking about doing without it.

But I am pretty certain your not talking about the Kotter pin on your Busa...

yes I am reffering to the busa, you have to remove it to place it on the stand, I was trying to see if I could avoid putting it back in after everytime

I'd say your Fugged in the head for even thinking about doing without it.  
Be nice, Rev
laugh.gif
. I'm trying to figure out which pin would be in the way of a rear stand as well.

after seeing the busa pics link I see his rear stand is not going through the nut in the center of the axle that I slid my friends stand through now I am really confused
sad.gif

I think we're all confused. I've only seen a couple different rear stands. One that uses bobbins to support the weight of the bike and one that uses pads to support the weight of the bike. Neither of them require the use of or removal of a kotter pin. How about taking a pic to show us what you are referring to?

maybe he has one of the stands that just has the rubber pads that sit on the bottom of the swingarm to hold thebike up?

maybe if the cotter pin was sticking straight down it would cause a problem.

I will try to take a pic, his stand has the whit "arm" which rests on the ground and a long metal shaft , he has an R 1 and takes the shaft and sticks it through the middle of the rear sproket, then through a hole on the other side of the arm. his R1 has no interference, with the Busa it has a Kotter pin on the right side of that rear sproket in the center of the wheel. I had to remove the kotter pin to be able to slide this metal shaft all the way through to get to the other side of the stand. So it is one piece tubbing that makes the actual stand and one metal rod that goes through the middle and is actually holding the bike up

Sounds like you need to break down and get a new rear stand!

Sounds like you're talking about the axle nut cotter pin. That cotter pin is there to keep your axle nut from loosing. Ummm, yeah I'd always have that pin in the axle nut, not worth $10,500 just to save a little bit of effort....

I've seen a couple of those stands around. The bar slides all the way through the rear axel and protrudes on either side. The protruding ends of the rod take the place of bobbins and you stand grabs them just the same as bobbins.

Personally, I would go with a rear stand that uses bobbins and would leave that cotter pin in there, but that's just me. I guess if you're diligent about checking the torque on your rear axle nut you could just as easily go without the pin, but why bother with the hassle.

Just my .02.

That stand looks rather flimsy. You should do what I do, just like when I was a kid with a bicycle, I just turn the bike upside down and rest it on the handlebars and seat, then I spin the wheel around real fast.

Back