REMOVING GEN II Right Side Cowling

Re: REMOVING the '08 Right Side Cowling

Does anyone know how to print the PowerPoint presentation? I can view it but see no way to print it. A print I could keep for foture reference.

I saved it and then I was able to print it.

Thanks War for taking the time to put this together:bowdown:

wow, I am not a busa owner yet...but, this board and this level of sharing is awesome.....I love this sort of foreplay before becoming an owner....I got my 'pre-lube' going just watching how to change the oil. :cheerleader: :thumbsup:

:goodidea::goodidea::goodidea::goodidea:

Hopefully this is ok with the author, but, I converted it to PDF for ease of printing.

http://www.vegasbaker.com/busastuff/08busaoilchange.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The hardest part I had was separating the top fairing from the bottom. There is a screw I took out that allows the top to swing out and then I could get my hand up on the inside to release the tabs.

Then when trying to reassemble getting the tabs on the front of the side fairing into the slots on the inner faring behind the front tire. I tried to check the tightness of as many exhaust bolts as I could reach and none were loose so I did not worry about the others.

This was a lot of difficulty to change an oil filter but next time should be easier. Plus I know it was done right.

By the way without the power point this would have been more difficult.....thanks!

Last edited:
The hardest part I had was separating the top fairing from the bottom. ............................

By the way without the power point this would have been more difficult.....thanks!

Ditto above! When the pieces came a part - it sounded like they cracked! Not a good feeling!

I bought my bike used and just changed the oil. My grommet is MIA from the RS Ram Air. I tried to order one from a parts guy over the phone - not sure what I will get when it comes in. Crap - bike is down for a $1.50 part.

Thanks for the ppt as the manual was not much help to me.

Ditto above! When the pieces came a part - it sounded like they cracked! Not a good feeling!

I bought my bike used and just changed the oil. My grommet is MIA from the RS Ram Air. I tried to order one from a parts guy over the phone - not sure what I will get when it comes in. Crap - bike is down for a $1.50 part.

Thanks for the ppt as the manual was not much help to me.

You might check in the airbox it might have been pushed into the ram-air tube. You might not have to be waiting on another one.

Yes.... or ram air tube; the tube is 1"-2" lower than where it is supposed to reside so it could of went forward too. Hence, I'd need to pull the airbox if not in the air box.

For $1.50 I made the call and ordered.the buggar as a contingency plan for when I have the minutes to deal with it. ... The clutch tsb makes me think I should spend some minutes in that area too while the panel is off.

I don't mind one little bit accumulating parts for this bike; it's my favorite bike ever. (except for this plastic)

Thanks fiend4x

Yes.... or ram air tube; the tube is 1"-2" lower than where it is supposed to reside so it could of went forward too. Hence, I'd need to pull the airbox if not in the air box.

For $1.50 I made the call and ordered.the buggar as a contingency plan for when I have the minutes to deal with it. ... The clutch tsb makes me think I should spend some minutes in that area too while the panel is off.

I don't mind one little bit accumulating parts for this bike; it's my favorite bike ever. (except for this plastic)

Thanks fiend4x

Your welcome. I didn't know that they were designed like that until I was doing some research when I got my exhaust from Brocks. A lot of useful information on his site also even if you dont get his exhaust.

:cussing:
Just did my first oil change at 216 miles. The pp presentation was a life saver.:thumbsup: The owners manual absolutely sucks when it comes to removing the fairing. I would give it a 1/2 case of beer and 1.5 pack of cigs the first go round rating. Next time should take less than 1 hour total.

what a mother removing the cowl! great presentation given but i wish the guy could of showed the locations of each push pin because the manual gives you the "vague version" of there locations. this took me a while to figure it out and i almost wanted to kick my own bike over in frustration. bottom line is, i need alot of practice to get this down and i don't regret doing it myself. :whistle:

Looks like I'm gonna get to find out how hard it is, my woodcraft stator cover showed up today (thanks Pashnit). Might as well figure it out and do my own oil change at the same time.

just did my second oil change by my self dealer did my first service ,the part that sucks the most is you have to remove the oil cooler line to get the filter out (i got full brocks exhaust) and what i will highly recomand is getting k&n oil filter easy to unscrew,oh by the way anybody know where i can get the o-ring that is in the oil cooler line ?probably after few oil changes that gone have to get replace 2 ,man it was harder to take the bike apart then putting it together most of the time is the other way around haha
Photo_09oilchange.jpg

I just changed my oil for the first time, dealership did the 600 mile check up. I have the Brocks full system as well and didn't have an issue. I have the short meg vs. the AI.

Anyway I'm thinking the GenII is a little easier than the Gen I. I also noticed a few changes under the fairing. :whistle:

And thanks Professor for posting this up, and anyone else involved. It was very simple.

That was great! I dont know if the 08's have this problem but I leartned the hard way that we should allways place masking tape along the front seam where the lower coweling meets the front nose fairing to save the paint from scratches.

They fixed this on the '08. Very nice. The lower fairing and the nose piece are keyed and just slide together. No scratching.

I plan on buying an 09 busa as soon as they are available and in the meantime I was looking at the fairing removal instructions from the downloaded K8 Service Manual. Just the one side fairing was all that was required to be removed on my 05 busa, but it appears that a total of four separate cowls are removed to get at the gen II oil filter! Is this correct or am I miss reading the manual?

You could say two pieces if you want to count the belly pan.

Just change the oil filter every 11000 miles like the manual recommends. You'll save you're sanity and save the folks around you from the pent up frustrations. The busa's the most ridiculously designed bike to ever grace the masses as far as oil changes and poorly designed plastics go ???

Can't do it man. I've always changed the filter and the oil. I'm sure it's safe to skip or they wouldn't put it in the manual.

Back