REMOVING GEN II Right Side Cowling

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
This was such a good thread another member built a powerpoint slide show out of it.

https://www.hayabusa.org/08-busa/2008BusaOilChange.pps

If you do not have Microsoft PowerPoint you can download and install a viewer here.

Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer Link.

Thanks to Warchild for the detailed information on this. Also thanks to Steve for putting in powerpoint format! Excellent work from both of you!

This link is for PDF version of the same file...
http://www.vegasbaker.com/busastuff/08busaoilchange.pdf

EDIT: File location changed to be hosted on the board. - omslaw

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your time and informative presentation.

Makes this task a lot less daunting

clap.gif

Thanks for the information. I don't think I could have done it otherwise. Being a machinist, I learned along time ago not to force something, and even with the information I found I still had to force it a little.
Thanks again.

Jim

I too had a little problem with mine . after reading this 4 or 5 times. and a little time on my hands i found that by applying a thin coat of petroleum jelly to all the push-in pins and clips it was a piece of cake.
boxing.gif

I'm just having a problem with the removal I got the 2 push pins out on the very bottem in the front do you just pry the 2 halves apart straight out right side I should say?
rock.gif

Does anybody know where to get a couple of these push pins to have for extras. Especially the smaller ones like on the inside of the fairing behind the front wheel(where I broke one  
whistling.gif
) or the little ones that are under the seat that connects that middle section plate. You have to push in the center part on these.

That was great! I dont know if the 08's have this problem but I leartned the hard way that we should allways place masking tape along the front seam where the lower coweling meets the front nose fairing to save the paint from scratches.

Thanks for the write up and Pics. Wished had done it for the left side TOO!!!
smile.gif
What a pain in the butt!!! I haven't put the bike together yet, but how hard is it to do that. I figured if I am changing oil, may as well as install a full exhaust while I am there. Oh, do you libe the nipple and groment fittings where the fairing goes into the bike. I figured this would help with pulling it apart again. And the masking tape idea is a good one. Had to use it!!!! Man my 02 gsxr 1k is easier to pull apart......
guns.gif

I just did my first oil change this week. And I have to say the hardest part (for me) was just locating all the push pins to begin with. The 2 in the front fender well (especially the back one) was the worst to get out. The rest are quite simple. The Power Point REALLY helped me out. But being it was my new busa baby, I was real careful with the cowling removal. It took me about 30 minutes to get it off, but it went on in about 5 minutes. Just remember where all your push pins go. Hopefully, when I install the exhaust and have to take off both sides, it will be just as easy on the left side.

Does anybody know where to get a couple of these push pins to have for extras. Especially the smaller ones like on the inside of the fairing behind the front wheel(where I broke one
whistling.gif
) or the little ones that are under the seat that connects that middle section plate. You have to push in the center part on these.

When I broke my first one, in the same place, I went to the Suzuki dealer, if you have one close by you, they had them.
After I had them out and saw how they work, it was a piece-of-cake.
beerchug.gif

The little ones come loose real easy if you put a piece of plastic (like they use on the end of a piece of pipe to protect threads) on the end of your finger to push them loose.
biggrin.gif
super.gif

THANKS,I'LL SAVE THIS FOR MY 1ST SERVICE SO I HAVE SOME THING TO REFER TO.
PULL TILL IT SNAPS,THEN BACK IT OFF A QUARTER TURN NOT!

Dear Warchild & Steve

Thanks a bunch for this information!

I haven't changed my oil and filter by myself yet (I just let the dealer do it on the 600-mile service), but when my father-in-law and I attempt this for the first time, your presentation is going to help a lot!

I really appreciate your sharing this information!

--Jaddie

Wait till you have to pull the left side too. OMG! The 10 mm bolt that goes up from the bottom is a biatch. There isn't an access hole on the left like there is on the right. Had to take off both sides to install my R77 carbon. A 10 mm 1/4 drive swivel socket on a 6" extention got this bolt out but......The pipe made clearance a problem getting that screw back in. Too much angle for even the swivel socket,no access hole on that side,can't even see the screw from any and I mean any angle,no room for your hand!#*?*#@*!!Took an hour or more just to get that one screw back in and started...mutha....The big peg posts were stuck to the rubber grometts too. Busted the one on the back side of the black panel that goes between the fairing and the gas tank...mutha some more....Thank god for crazy glue. Lubed these grometts and pins with vasoline when I was reinstalling for easier removal in the future.Had all Saturday to do this project and I thought how bad can it be. I've been a mechanic,I've worked on bikes before,I'm mechanically inclined,I'll take my time and be real carefull,well.....This pipe install took me 6 hours and i think I kinda know what I'm doing. Novice tinkerers should watch out cause they will either destroy their bike or get in the middle and get stuck. Glad it's done and by the way the pipe looks and sounds great. Can hardly wait for my first service in another 325 miles. Hopefully easier the second time.This post and 4 pages copied from the factoy service manual still didn't make this job trouble free.

Okay folks, you don't have to remove the 10mm bolt on the bottom of the fairing for it to come off! That 10mm bolt holds the metal clip with the rubber gromment attached to it in place. Pull on the fairing and it will pop right out.
hello.gif

Yes, it was a pain for me to install the system when compared to other bikes I have worked on. Taking the fairings off fr the first time .....took 2 hours. Trying to be careful not to break anything!!! Exhaust system was easy, but had to beat it apart and align all back up!!! Then getting it back together and making sure all the clips went in to the correct places!!!!

I did my first oil change on my 08 today at 501 miles. Thank you so much for your presentation. Even with it, the first time is a bioch! A lot of muttering at Suzuki, too. Got it all apart and back together with no damage. I think it would have taken hours without your help. I expect next time will be easier. THANKS!
thumb_up.gif
bowdown.gif

Back