REMOVING GEN II Right Side Cowling

That was great!  I dont know if the 08's have this problem but I leartned the hard way that we should allways place masking tape along the front seam where the lower coweling meets the front nose fairing to save the paint from scratches.
Yes sir.

And if you are running the billet gauge bezel and painted inners put tape on the bezel also.
thumb_up.gif

r8

I am going to add some photos of the elusive grommets for you guys to see exactly where they are and how the are positioned. This is the right side of course. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the left side when I put the exhaust on.
The first photo is the side shot of the bike with the plastic removed for reference on the close up shots.
Then the grommets are shown in no particular order.
IMG_1537.jpg

This first one is located on top of the frame rail and you will lift up on this to pull out.

Grommet_1.jpg

The next one is in the right corner and fits in the ram air tube. Be careful not to push this inside the ram air tube.

Grommet_4.jpg

This one is in the middle of the frame rail.
Grommet_2.jpg

Last this one (sorry for the small pic) is at the bottom and is the one that was originally being unbolted from the motor with the 10mm wrench. No need to unbolt just pull out
Grommet_3.jpg

Hope this helps out a bit

I just changed my oil today and didn't think it was bad at all. It only took me about 15-minutes to get it off. Getting the upper and lower apart was the hardest part but once you figure out how it is held together, it comes right apart. I was only surprised by how many push pines hold the fairing on. I figured Suzuki would have used more bolts like the Gen-I...

Can someone tell me the tick to PUTTING IT BACK ON??!!
I started from the top right and work my way down to the lower left. Then connected the inner fender area. About a 30 minute job for the first time. Wish I saw this post first, may have made things a bit quicker.

I was reading the first post and when he mentioned the 10mm Hex head bolt. I thought I was F*#ked and I had broke something because I never took a hex head bolt out. After reading down through I saw it wasn't necessary. Fueeeeeeee!!!

Thanks for this...I did my first oil change today with the help of this powerpoint.

I am not looking forward to removing those fairings again. What a pain in the butt.

There is NO
easybutton.png
when trying to get them back.

just did my first oil change and with the power point i got it done start to finish in less than an 2 hours! thanks .org
thumb_up.gif

Great Powerpoint thank you for the time and effort, wish Suzuki would read these posts and somehow make the filter process a little easier. I think the Engineers that design it don't have to maintain it and that is why they don't look for better ways.

Anyone done the left side? I had no problem with the right, but when I pulled the left for the SpeedoHealer install, I broke one of the plastic plugs that insert into the grommeted frame holes. Once that is broke, there ain't no real good fix. I took a 2" x 3/8 bolt, cut bolt head off, and then drilled and tapped the plastic flange. I threaded the bolt into the plastic flange so it was about 1" above the flange. The diameter of the 3/8 bolt is just about the same as the plug and with the rough threads, the bolt seems to hold the cowling ok. It's sad that the only way to fix it properly is to replace the entire left side tupperware.
wtf.gif

I went ahead and tried to get familiar with taking the right side off because I ordered the clutch cover mod and was going to get it prepared...I'm having trouble figuring this thing out. I took all the bolts and push pins out (I think..) but it still feels like its on there pretty tight and I really don't want to mess it up. I can't imagine cutting the fairing for this mod either.
ohthedrama.gif

Thank you, this really helped.  
thumb_up.gif

I too had a difficult time locating all the push pins. Also had a hard time making out the pictures in the owner's manual. The ones that I recall were:

2 located underneath front of the chin
1 located on chin in front of radiator (don't know that this one had to be removed, but did anyway)
1 inside fender well (small one, right side)
1 up near the steering neck
2 in front of the rear tire (rectifier area, as mentioned in the ppt)

Thanx to everyone involved in the making of the power point presentation.
bowdown.gif
Nice looking Busa too
cool.gif

Re: REMOVING the '08 Right Side Cowling

So where is the powerpoint being housed now? The link is no longer working.

Re: REMOVING the '08 Right Side Cowling

The link to the ppt is not good anymore. Does anyone have an extra copy of this power point? I'm putting on fairing screens so I'll need to reference the ppt.Thanks

Ok folks,
Getting ready to take the plastic off to put on my new exhaust. Does the 10mm bolt need to come out or not? Seems to be a difference of opinion here.

Back