Removing fuel tank

flrider

ECV No Known Cure
Donating Member
Registered
For anyone who has removed the fuel tank----any thing wierd about procedure? Any tricks to make it go smooth? I see in manual to pinch fuel lines and then remove. Are the lines removed at tank. I assume so since they talk about plugs for tank. Any remaining fuel that is in the tank, will it gush out when lines are removed? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight into procedure.  Bob
bowdown.gif

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080181423 -->

Get your self some good hemostat claps for the lines. Shape of the tank will keep some gas ion the tank after you drain it.

That is funny, I was about to post some questions on this as well. Ninja did you drain the gas before removing the tank or did you use of the hoses on the bottom of the tank to drain it out with? I dont have a little hand pump to siphon and I dont really want to ingest any gasoline tonight.

That is funny, I was about to post some questions on this as well.  Ninja did you drain the gas before removing the tank or did you use of the hoses on the bottom of the tank to drain it out with?  I dont have a little hand pump to siphon and I dont really want to ingest any gasoline tonight.
If you wait until it is almost empty you can use the fuel pump and empty the last pint by turning the key off and on and draining it into a container.

For anyone who has removed the fuel tank----any thing wierd about procedure? Any tricks to make it go smooth? I see in manual to pinch fuel lines and then remove. Are the lines removed at tank. I assume so since they talk about plugs for tank. Any remaining fuel that is in the tank, will it gush out when lines are removed? Just wondering. Thanks for any insight into procedure.  Bob  
bowdown.gif
I used a screw driver to remove the vacuum lines at the tank. The fuel line just has a clip you can squeeze with your hand at the end away from the tank. Gas will not rush out on my 03.

Also that long bolt will turn just enough to get the tank off - do not have to undo the 4 bolts on tank.

Also that long bolt will turn just enough to get the tank off - do not have to undo the 4 bolts on tank.
This is the best tip yet, I had a bugger of a time trying to get the two lower bolts out so I decided to leave then and pull out the one long bolt, much easier.

The other thing I did was to unbolt the tank and remove the wire connections and tip the tank sideways and then pulled the hose off and plugged it. A little bit came out but not much, then I just pulled the plug out when I had the tank over the bucket I was emptying into. Not nearly as tough as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the help Let'er Eat

Back