Removing front wheel

Fredyp33

Registered
I need to remove the front wheel to take off the forks, does anyone know what size hex tool I need, or if there is a trick to get the wheel off? Like turn around a different size socket or some other tool that would fit inside that hex socket, etc...? Any other tips would help, it's an 06 if that matters. Thank you.

Fred, I have a set of deep dish metric sockets for just such a job. I forget exactly which one, I'd have to go out in the garage to check, but solves all your problems. Long since lost my front hex wrench tool although still have the back.

If you use a socket, leave the left side (sitting on bike) tight (two bolts on front of fork leg) and loosen the axle first. Then you can loosen left side bolts, & slide it out. Remember to lube the axle up with some bearing grease when you put it all back together. Can be a quick job. Also take care when sliding the front tire out from under the fender. I typically have the jack the busa way up (I hang it from the ceiling actually- hillbilly, but it works) and gently pull the front wheel off and swap the tires myself. Gotta do that soon.
beerchug.gif

24 mm hex, you can get it from snapon but every one here except me will tell you to jam two nuts together and use it as a tool

Okay yes I will tell you that you can use even a 3/4" head bolt and two appropriate size nuts jammed together as a tool. I use one each time I remove my front wheel. It works just fine for me and for less than $5 too. Although I will say that having a correct hex key wrench would be nice to have in the tool box but I always forget to buy one.

Okay yes I will tell you that you can use even a 3/4" head bolt and two appropriate size nuts jammed together as a tool.  I use one each time I remove my front wheel.  It works just fine for me and for less than $5 too. Although I will say that having a correct hex key wrench would be nice to have in the tool box but I always forget to buy one.
I just did this about 2 months ago,Im thinking it was a little bigger the 3/4" bolt though,I cant remember..

Two different styles depending on the year... Pre 00 is an outy and after 01 is an inney...
Style wrench that is! Motion Pro makes a tool for this that fits four different sizes for less than $25 or so bucks.

I am contemplating making up a bunch of the tools for Members......
You need to use a 5/8" diameter bolt with 2 nuts on it. Will fit great! 15/16" is the actuall size measured across the flats!
beerchug.gif

My 02 sensor removal socket (MAC) has a hex head that fits perfect, it is also setup for 1/2 drive so an extension and torque wrench hook right up...

Gee, I wonder what I was thinking when I posted 36mm, that's the rear nut... I guess I should pay closer attention and not spend so much time on the iphone...

13/16" spark plug socket with a 3-1/2" socket extension worked like a champ for me.

Thanks for all the replies
thumb_up.gif
, I think I'll try the old school, bolt and two nuts, and if that doesn't work, I;ll just go buy a real 24mm axle tool, but does anyone know the torque of the front axle? And the rear axle nut is 34mm, NOT 36.

I've found that I can't torque the two nuts together hard enough to keep them from unscrewing when dialing in the torque required for the front axle.

The Motion Pro tool is listed at 29.95; that is a lot of money for a piece of 6061 T-6 aluminum.

But it works and besides the 24mm for the front axle, it has 17mm, 19mm and 22 mm.

Pricey but nice, Motion Pro makes top notch tools, I also have their mercury carb synchro tool and their chain breaker/riveter.

Blue1

Look, If you want to hear it from a PRO, this is what you need. You need a 5/8-11" Diameter Hex head bolt. This would be the outside diameter of the bolt thread. Then get a couple of nuts that fit on the 5/8" bolt. Have them welded on. The nuts that fit a 5/8"-11 bolt actually measure across the flats as 15/16" or .937"...
Now do you see why I contemplate actually making them up? Way too much controversy on what works..I know exactly what you need...I do this stuff for a living...
beerchug.gif

Back