removing front wheel

rolandag2

Registered
how do i remove the front wheel I know i have to loosen the bolts but the front wheel axle does it just slip out or is it a multiple piece shaft do i have to remove a certian piece first is there any specific ordere in removing the axle any help would be greatly appreciated

Just lloosen the nut and the two small ones on the bottom of the fork that clamps the shaft. Then you can just slip it out.

You'll need to buy a tool or make one. Someone will chime in with how to make one. Loosen the allen head screws on the brake side fork and then spin the axle out. Some say you need to support the front calipers; from memory you need to remove them as well. If you have the front tire elevated enought it should come right out. Take your time, it's not that hard. Be careful with the front rotors they bend easy.

I should just go measure the axle head & find the right allen wrench to go with it. We got some big fuggers in the maintenance shop
Posted via Mobile Device

You can buy the tool on ebay for about $12...or you can make one out of a bolt and two nuts. I'll have to go measure and get back on the size.
You really don't need the tool though. Leave the left (facing front from seated position) two small nuts tight until you get the right side (large) nut loose. Then loosen your left (small) snug nuts. Take a soft mallot and tap your axle through using the loosened large nut from the right side.
You'll need to raise the bike on a stand or jack. I use a winch from the ceiling and strap under my triple tree.

And the winner would be 24 mm

Both of these "tools" can be purchased at your local hardware store

100_1536.jpg

I just went through this. Be sure the front stand you use will hold your bike up steady, and not flex enough to drop it. The pit bulls seems to be good at holding the forks up, but others WILL drop the bike if you're not extremely careful. It's not worth using a cheap stand, or you can use the strap on the winch method, that sounds good to me.

The owners manual says to use a block under the exhaust to lift the wheel up, I'm not a big fan of this but I can confirm it does work in a pinch. Just keep the rear wheel supported on a stand or in a vertical holding jig.

Remove the brake calipers and either let them hang for the moment or tie strap them up, your call.
Once you get the front wheel ready to lift, loosen the 2 small allen head 'pinch' bolts on the bottom of the Right Hand side fork. That is the fork on the THROTTLE side of the bike. Then loosen the axle from that same side of the bike (using your large allen key or custom tool, whatever. I made a tool from the back end of a 13/16" spark plug socket welded to a 1/2" ratchet extension).

The axle will unscrew completely and your wheel should drop right out. I like to use a block to support the wheel as the axle comes out so I can wiggle the dust seal off the LEFT hand fork spacer nicely. Some guys use their foot :)

You do not have to loosen the pinch bolts on the LEFT hand fork to do this job. the video above and instructions are for a different bike so read your manual, and use common sense. good Luck.

Last edited:
I just went through this. Be sure the front stand you use will hold your bike up steady, and not flex enough to drop it. The pit bulls seems to be good at holding the forks up, but others WILL drop the bike if you're not extremely careful. It's not worth using a cheap stand, or you can use the strap on the winch method, that sounds good to me.

The owners manual says to use a block under the exhaust to lift the wheel up, I'm not a big fan of this but I can confirm it does work in a pinch. Just keep the rear wheel supported on a stand or in a vertical holding jig.

Remove the brake calipers and either let them hang for the moment or tie strap them up, your call.
Once you get the front wheel ready to lift, loosen the 2 small allen head 'pinch' bolts on the bottom of the Right Hand side fork. That is the fork on the THROTTLE side of the bike. Then loosen the axle from that same side of the bike (using your large allen key or custom tool, whatever. I made a tool from the back end of a 13/16" spark plug socket welded to a 1/2" ratchet extension).

The axle will unscrew completely and your wheel should drop right out. I like to use a block to support the wheel as the axle comes out so I can wiggle the dust seal off the LEFT hand fork spacer nicely. Some guys use their foot :)

You do not have to loosen the pinch bolts on the LEFT hand fork to do this job. the video above and instructions are for a different bike so read your manual, and use common sense. good Luck.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for typing that up!

--Wag--

And the winner would be 24 mm

Both of these "tools" can be purchased at your local hardware store

Those will work, but to take the mystery out and so you can get what you need that is a 5/8" coupler or a 5/8" bolt and 2 nuts, 24mm is the outside diameter of the cap and unfortunatly bolts are not sold by cap size :beerchug:

just picked up my coupler at Home Depot for $1.39 after CA tax

Back