removing front sprocket cover

txbikerdude

Donating Member
Registered
im having problems removing the front sprocket cover. has anyone done this that can help? i pulled the fairing off and removed 4 bolts but it feels like there is another bolt i cant find.

any help would be apprecieated

I would double check that you haven't missed a bolt somewhere. If not, the cover has guides that align it when reinstalling it. You're probably just hung up on those. Give it a wiggle and it should come loose.

If it's like the Gen I, the service manual says to remove the speed sensor magnet.

Guys, I need some help please.

Whilst I had the LHS fairing off I decided to remove the front sprocket cover so that I could clean up the chain lube mess. When I was putting the cover back on I realised that the 4 cover bolts are 2 different sizes - 2 are longer than the other 2.
I think that the bottom 2 are the shorter ones but I am not 100% sure. If someone can remember from the last time they did it please let me know. Or if someone is feeling very generous can you please remove the 3 bolts I have circled in red. The one circle in blue will be covered by the LHS fairing (I think).

Thanks
Troy

IMG_1241.JPG

Last edited:
the guide pins stick sometimes. you just have to wiggle it from left to right to free it up.

Guys, I need some help please.

Whilst I had the LHS fairing off I decided to remove the front sprocket cover so that I could clean up the chain lube mess. When I was putting the cover back on I realised that the 4 cover bolts are 2 different sizes - 2 are longer than the other 2.
I think that the bottom 2 are the shorter ones but I am not 100% sure. If someone can remember from the last time they did it please let me know. Or if someone is feeling very generous can you please remove the 3 bolts I have circled in red. The one circle in blue will be covered by the LHS fairing (I think).

Thanks
Troy

For future reference, sometimes when I'm disassembling, I'll thread the bolts back into the holes from which they came. If they are not going to be in the way this can be a helpful technique.

Pretty sure the longer 2 are on the top..

Thanks Dd, I'm pretty sure that's the way as well.:thumbsup:

For future reference, sometimes when I'm disassembling, I'll thread the bolts back into the holes from which they came. If they are not going to be in the way this can be a helpful technique.

Thanks KOTH, I normally do the same but you need to have all 4 out at the same time to remove the cover.

Just as a little bit of FYI, upon removal I found the left side of the cover moved easily and I just used a flat bladed screwdriver (with a bit of rag over it) to gently lever the right side. Came off no worries.

Hey everyone. Hope all is good. Gotta question.

Only other time I did this, (removed spr cov)I was changing clutch fluid so had to bleed anyway.
If I removed only the spr cover and pushrod to clean it all out, would I in theory not have to bleed it?

I know some guys on here will know. I don't post much. Kind of a noob don't have much to offer a bunch a pros. But this site is my first stop when I'm working on my baby. Always great advice & tips. Thanks to all for all the help you put out there for everybody.

Don't need to bleed clutch. I clean my regularly and only service clutch fluid 1 a year. Also if you are not sure on where long bolts go when you are working on the bike just tighten then finger tight all the way - should be obvious.

Back