Removing ABS

drgnrcr

Registered
I have searched and came up with nothing.

Has anyone done this yet?

I am contemplating and moving forward with removing my ABS system.

Also, any thoughts on the performance of the ABS unit?

I just got mine and the brakes feel incredibly soft, but this just may be that my trade-in was coming up on replacing the pads (among other things), which is why I upgraded.

TIA,

-Frank

Last edited:
Suzuki designs abs into it and you want to remove it?
:banghead:

Um, yeah; let me think about this...

Suzuki designs the Hayabusa for 14 years without ABS and one year with it...

So uh, yes.

Suzuki also designed the bike with an NA motor, massive CATs and emission controls, etc. and no one ever changed that out...

:rolleyes2:

FYI, this is not my first Busa or vehicle where I have yanked the ABS unit, or modified anything else for that matter.

I have no experience with the 2013 abs.
I would think you could remove a fuse or relay? Maybe get an FI light if you did though?
There is nothing about the abs in ecu editor yet either.
Maybe a way to disable abs in ecu in the future?

I have no experience with the 2013 abs.
I would think you could remove a fuse or relay? Maybe get an FI light if you did though?
There is nothing about the abs in ecu editor yet either.
Maybe a way to disable abs in ecu in the future?

There is an ABS specific light on the MY 13 Cluster, so it would probably light that up over FI.

Is this to say that no one sees the ABS in the ECU, or the editor just doesn't have that option?

I was actually leaning towards replacing the wiring harness/ecu/brake lines from a totaled earlier gen bike.

I'm looking for ABS reviews thus far and brake feel in general. If anyone has already done this, mod my ears are open.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would look into getting a Brembo master cylinder and SS brake lines before tampering with the ABS. I'm no braking expert but I had soft brakes along with plenty of other members on here and I did the mods and its definitely not soft anymore(2 finger braking :whistle:). I don't think ABS will hinder the brakes effectiveness like that it merely prevents you from locking them up indefinitely

So "the brakes feel incredibly soft" compared to your prior bike without ABS? Did you expect the two different brake systems to feel the same? I'm sure the manufacturer did zero R&D prior to putting it into production. Maybe it's some clever scheme to have buyers spend the extra money on a safety system so they can remove it.

I would look into getting a Brembo master cylinder and SS brake lines before tampering with the ABS. I'm no braking expert but I had soft brakes along with plenty of other members on here and I did the mods and its definitely not soft anymore(2 finger braking :whistle:). I don't think ABS will hinder the brakes effectiveness like that it merely prevents you from locking them up indefinitely

I appreciate the advice, though I am not removing the ABS because of how soft the brakes are. I am removing it because my riding habits were formed from non-ABS bikes. I do not like how the ABS backs off my pressure. I have ridden confidently knowing I can hold the brakes to their limits without the requiring the use of an ABS unit to assist as a safety device.

So "the brakes feel incredibly soft" compared to your prior bike without ABS? Did you expect the two different brake systems to feel the same? I'm sure the manufacturer did zero R&D prior to putting it into production. Maybe it's some clever scheme to have buyers spend the extra money on a safety system so they can remove it.

No, no, no and no.

I am comparing my used 36K+mile busa still on it's original pads getting real close to the wear indicator to a brand new bike with new pads/rotors.

The feeling is also associated with the fact the pistons aren't that far stretched and there is new brake fluid (never changed out on my used busa).

Not knowing what to expect regarding feeling on the ABS unit is why I asked anyone with it to chime in.

Again, I am not removing the ABS because of the feel. See my last post.

There is an ABS specific light on the MY 13 Cluster, so it would probably light that up over FI.

Is this to say that no one sees the ABS in the ECU, or the editor just doesn't have that option?

I was actually leaning towards replacing the wiring harness/ecu/brake lines from a totaled earlier gen bike.

I'm looking for ABS reviews thus far and brake feel in general. If anyone has already done this, mod my ears are open.

:thumbsup:

Ecu Editor updated again recently, and there are no new options or even listings of the abs.
It may come at some point, but that's a question for Greg Smith.
As said, I know nothing about the new abs system, but I would tend to agree that if it has it's own light it probably won't effect the FI light.
PM Smithabusa and see if he's fooled with the abs at all yet. If he's looked into how Suzuki set it up he'll know.

Ecu Editor updated again recently, and there are no new options or even listings of the abs.
It may come at some point, but that's a question for Greg Smith.
As said, I know nothing about the new abs system, but I would tend to agree that if it has it's own light it probably won't effect the FI light.
PM Smithabusa and see if he's fooled with the abs at all yet. If he's looked into how Suzuki set it up he'll know.

Thank you so very much. He has a PM on it's way :thumbsup:

Why didn't you just buy a 2012 model? Especially if you were so overly concerned with the ABS system on the 2013 and your non-ABS riding style....:dunno:

Yes you're right we all know nothing....:whistle:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that; I don't think anyone here believes you represent them :whistle:

I'm sure you could find someone here willing to swap out the components from there genII for your 2013 stuff.

That would be fantastic. I haven't read into the For Sale forum yet so I don't know what the rules are regarding swapping parts.

Why didn't you just buy a 2012 model? Especially if you were so overly concerned with the ABS system on the 2013 and your non-ABS riding style....:dunno:

I had no intention on replacing my bike. Suzuki has the 50 years promotion, so I replaced it because I got the 0% offer. While looking around, that was when I noticed Suzuki made the change. I liked the '13 White better than the '12 and it came with Brembo brakes. It's cheaper to swap out the components than buying a set of Brembos.

Back