Removed Secondary Butteryflys

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Curiousity finally got the better of me today and I removed the secondary butterflys from the throttle bodies on my Gen2. I have to say I was expecting the worst, but was shocked and very happy with the results! The difference in throttle response was amazing! I'm not imagining it either; I ride wheelies, and now it is effortless in 1st and 2nd to bring it up! It feels like 3 teeth on the rear sprocket!
My 08 is mechanically stock too, both sprockets, exhaust, fuel map, ect., unless you count a K&N air filter, which I don't.
Now before anybody goes jumpin down my throat, sayin I lost horsepower, maybe so(2 or 3 if any, who cares), I never claimed the bike gained any, just a very noticeable increase in throttle response.
The theory behind the gain is that(someone correct me if I'm wrong)the secondary flaps make adjustments for B, and C mode. I only always use A mode, B, and C are pointless to me, and if it no longer runs smooth in those modes, I could care less, I didn't try them.
It was a 20 minute job too, remove the airbox, 2 phillips screws on each of the 4 flaps, remove...done.
And I'm not claiming it was my idea either, as said I'de been curious, I've read plenty of threads about it, with opinions on both sides. If you're interested in doing it, it's as quick to put back if you don't like it.
Like to wheelie? Then you'll love this!:beerchug:

So it's just me and maybe 2 others:laugh: Nobodys tried this, come on wheelie guys, this makes it pop up like a 1000.

i just removed mine yesterday, haven't rode it yet but i might take it out in an hour or so. I like to wheelie mine as well, i'll repost what i think about this mod withn a few more hours once i ride.:whistle:

i just removed mine yesterday, haven't rode it yet but i might take it out in an hour or so. I like to wheelie mine as well, i'll repost what i think about this mod withn a few more hours once i ride.:whistle:

Cool, 1st gear really suprised me, 2nd is much easier too(just throttle too, no clutching) Might even be able to bounce 3rd up(or should easy with clutch) haven't tried 3rd yet.:beerchug:

Curiousity finally got the better of me today and I removed the secondary butterflys from the throttle bodies on my Gen2. I have to say I was expecting the worst, but was shocked and very happy with the results! The difference in throttle response was amazing! I'm not imagining it either; I ride wheelies, and now it is effortless in 1st and 2nd to bring it up! It feels like 3 teeth on the rear sprocket!
My 08 is mechanically stock too, both sprockets, exhaust, fuel map, ect., unless you count a K&N air filter, which I don't.
Now before anybody goes jumpin down my throat, sayin I lost horsepower, maybe so(2 or 3 if any, who cares), I never claimed the bike gained any, just a very noticeable increase in throttle response.
The theory behind the gain is that(someone correct me if I'm wrong)the secondary flaps make adjustments for B, and C mode. I only always use A mode, B, and C are pointless to me, and if it no longer runs smooth in those modes, I could care less, I didn't try them.
It was a 20 minute job too, remove the airbox, 2 phillips screws on each of the 4 flaps, remove...done.
And I'm not claiming it was my idea either, as said I'de been curious, I've read plenty of threads about it, with opinions on both sides. If you're interested in doing it, it's as quick to put back if you don't like it.

Just curious, should you remap for this mod? I am totally ignorant about the secondaries and FI, and like you, I have never seen "B" or "C" mode and never will. I think Suzuki should make that switch a trip and Odometer setting and put the B & C buttons on the dash, how many times have you really wanted to switch between trip and actually and/or mpg without taking your hand off the bar. I don't think ANYONE would want to switch modes in mid ride. But I digress, I am not a wheelie junkie, but wouldn't be opposed to "Waking" the bike up a bit, but I am more interested in the mapping and long term effects of this mod.

Thanks
Bubba

Just curious, should you remap for this mod? I am totally ignorant about the secondaries and FI, and like you, I have never seen "B" or "C" mode and never will. I think Suzuki should make that switch a trip and Odometer setting and put the B & C buttons on the dash, how many times have you really wanted to switch between trip and actually and/or mpg without taking your hand off the bar. I don't think ANYONE would want to switch modes in mid ride. But I digress, I am not a wheelie junkie, but wouldn't be opposed to "Waking" the bike up a bit, but I am more interested in the mapping and long term effects of this mod.

Thanks
Bubba

Wouldn't hurt, but not a NEED. Any bolt on, like exhaust, doesn't need a re map. The only time there can be a NEED is with nitros, turbo, big bore, ect., something where the fuel (and sometimes ignition) must be adjusted, otherwise you'de lean out and burn down your engine.
Generic maps, like on a powercommander(on a near stock, bolt on bike)aren't great either, sometimes you can't even notice a difference. They just get you a little closer. You will only really see the benefits with a dyno tune.
The secondary valve removal I'm sure would run better with a dyno tune, but it really isn't worth it unless you have free acess to a dyno.
I think it will go well with an exhaust, airfilter, derestriction, ect.
Someone smarter than me may chime in and say/prove that you could lose or gain a couple hp with it. To me that's insignificant, unless you're a drag racer.
It really is a noticable difference in throttle response though, so I'm happy. If you think about it, they are in the way, and it makes sense.
Seeing is beliveing to me, I was skeptical, and was actually expecting the bike to run bad somewhere in the rpm, but not so. Even if you don't wheelie, the difference IS very noticeable. And as said, it's quick and simple, if you don't like it, put them back on. Ultimate wheelie mod:laugh::thumbsup:

Wouldn't hurt, but not a NEED. Any bolt on, like exhaust, doesn't need a re map. The only time there can be a NEED is with nitros, turbo, big bore, ect., something where the fuel (and sometimes ignition) must be adjusted, otherwise you'de lean out and burn down your engine.
Generic maps, like on a powercommander(on a near stock, bolt on bike)aren't great either, sometimes you can't even notice a difference. They just get you a little closer. You will only really see the benefits with a dyno tune.
The secondary valve removal I'm sure would run better with a dyno tune, but it really isn't worth it unless you have free acess to a dyno.
I think it will go well with an exhaust, airfilter, derestriction, ect.
Someone smarter than me may chime in and say/prove that you could lose or gain a couple hp with it. To me that's insignificant, unless you're a drag racer.
It really is a noticable difference in throttle response though, so I'm happy. If you think about it, they are in the way, and it makes sense.
Seeing is beliveing to me, I was skeptical, and was actually expecting the bike to run bad somewhere in the rpm, but not so. Even if you don't wheelie, the difference IS very noticeable. And as said, it's quick and simple, if you don't like it, put them back on. Ultimate wheelie mod:laugh::thumbsup:

Although I have never ridden a GenI, I have rev'd one up and noticed the quick response, and the difference on my GenII is more linear than a GenI, this may be the mod that unites the GenI riders feel with the GenII's. I may just give this a try.

Thanks for your input, and if you could provide some pics of the mod, that would be great.:thumbsup:
Been awhile since I wrenched, and I have never touched FI motors. I have rebuilt old motors and grew up restoring old cars, all carburetors and no computers.
Bubba

CAN WE HAVE A PIC OF PARTS REMOVED SO WE KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN WE GO TO REMOVE OUR OWN FOR TESTING PURPOSES ?
:laugh:

I read a thread not too long ago that was talking about this and the ZX14 same thing.
There were a couple folks here who are really knowledgeable saying nay for some reason I cant remember ?

I removed them on my DL 1000 OMG , made a different bike out of it, For the better,,,,
Took them out of my 03 GSXR 1000 wow instant throttle no lag.....
Rode my 2008 Busa home in the winter about 8 miles, Took out the SECONDARYs , So I can not tell you how the Busa rides with them in...
but there in the bike to help with the EPA and to slow the throttle response down so the rider does not hurt himself, ha...:rofl:
Mike

Although I have never ridden a GenI, I have rev'd one up and noticed the quick response, and the difference on my GenII is more linear than a GenI, this may be the mod that unites the GenI riders feel with the GenII's. I may just give this a try.

Thanks for your input, and if you could provide some pics of the mod, that would be great.:thumbsup:
Been awhile since I wrenched, and I have never touched FI motors. I have rebuilt old motors and grew up restoring old cars, all carburetors and no computers.
Bubba

Sorry man, I don't know when I could get pics for u, but I'll explain it. It's easy, I promise, and given your abilities, you will have no problems.

Remove seat, 2 allen heads
Remove 2 allen head bolts at the front of tank, u can see them
Prop tank up with the rod provided under passenger seat
Remove air filter lid, 9 phillips head screws, 8 around the edges and one in the center
Remove air filter
Remove throttle cable bracket(10mm head, 1 bolt) it holds the cables down at the front center of the airbox, it's in plain sight
Look around the bottom of the airbox, there are a few hoses, and 2 plug in electrical connections(one on each side) attached to the airbox, remove all, again, very visible and easy to get to
Next, look where the airbox sits on top of the throttle bodies, on each side you will see a small allen head(think it's a 4mm) Loosen each side, now you can lift the lower half of the airbox off
Now you can look directly into the 4 throttle bodies, you will see the secondary valve as it is at the top of each, it's aluminum and has 2 phillips head screws holding each one
Thats it, remove em, and reassemble
The screws on them have locktite on them too, if they don't want to turn, GENTLY tap down on the screwdriver with a hammer while twisting, they will come free
Check to see no locktite gunk falls down, if so it is easily vaccuumed or wiped out, the primary throttlebody valves(the gold ones you see directly below the ones you're removing)are closed so nothing will get into the engine
DO NOT twist the throttle for any reason(as there is no reason to do so)this obviously opens your primarys, allowing a screw or trash to fall into the intake, which of course would be bad. Not tryin to insult your intelligence either.
I hope this helps, I promise it's simple, and as said can be easily replaced if you don't like it. PM me if you have any problems, you can even call me you needed too.
Now BLANCA! It is your responsibility to try this mod(I know you can do it)and post pics showing how it's done!!!:laugh::beerchug:

Sorry man, I don't know when I could get pics for u, but I'll explain it. It's easy, I promise, and given your abilities, you will have no problems.

Remove seat, 2 allen heads
Remove 2 allen head bolts at the front of tank, u can see them
Prop tank up with the rod provided under passenger seat
Remove air filter lid, 9 phillips head screws, 8 around the edges and one in the center
Remove air filter
Remove throttle cable bracket(10mm head, 1 bolt) it holds the cables down at the front center of the airbox, it's in plain sight
Look around the bottom of the airbox, there are a few hoses, and 2 plug in electrical connections(one on each side) attached to the airbox, remove all, again, very visible and easy to get to
Next, look where the airbox sits on top of the throttle bodies, on each side you will see a small allen head(think it's a 4mm) Loosen each side, now you can lift the lower half of the airbox off
Now you can look directly into the 4 throttle bodies, you will see the secondary valve as it is at the top of each, it's aluminum and has 2 phillips head screws holding each one
Thats it, remove em, and reassemble
The screws on them have locktite on them too, if they don't want to turn, GENTLY tap down on the screwdriver with a hammer while twisting, they will come free
Check to see no locktite gunk falls down, if so it is easily vaccuumed or wiped out, the primary throttlebody valves(the gold ones you see directly below the ones you're removing)are closed so nothing will get into the engine
DO NOT twist the throttle for any reason(as there is no reason to do so)this obviously opens your primarys, allowing a screw or trash to fall into the intake, which of course would be bad. Not tryin to insult your intelligence either.
I hope this helps, I promise it's simple, and as said can be easily replaced if you don't like it. PM me if you have any problems, you can even call me you needed too.
Now BLANCA! It is your responsibility to try this mod(I know you can do it)and post pics showing how it's done!!!:laugh::beerchug:

Thanks for the write-up. :thumbsup:

Now, BLANCA - get on it!:laugh:

i just removed mine yesterday, haven't rode it yet but i might take it out in an hour or so. I like to wheelie mine as well, i'll repost what i think about this mod within a few more hours once i ride.:whistle:

sorry for the delay, rode it for about 3-4 miles and it does seem to have a better throttle response as the front wheel does come up quicker it seems. I already went -1 tooth up front so it may be more noticeable on a stock geared bike??? very easy 1hr job to remove the butterflies and the above write up on how to remove them is spot on. my screws didnt have any threadlocker on them, came out pretty easy??? kinda worried me as if it could have been missed on a few bikes an could vibrate loose one day:poke:, but i have over 13K miles on my 2008 and they were tight but no threadlocker. if anyone really needs pictures of this mod i can "redo" this mod and post some, but you shouldn't need any pics with the above how to.

Well I just did mine. Was a 30 min. job at most. Take it for a ride on Sunday to see what it feels like. Don't think it is going to be much difference but we will see. Will be easy enough to return back to stock if need be.

Well I was very surprised. It made a pretty big difference. I don't think it would make any more power top end, but the off the throttle acceleration is very nice. Well worth the 30 minutes to take them out. I have heard that it doesn't make any difference on the Busa but I do not agree with that, unless something was wrong with my secondaries in the first place. Go ahead and do it , then you be the judge. Worth while if you ask my opinion.

Back