Removed Factory Chain and would like to clean it

Boyer

Registered
I have a 2006 Busa with only 700 miles. I removed the swingarm to have it chromed. Since I removed the chain, I would like to clean it. Should I soak the chain in anything. Once I clean it, should I lube it with something special? Or should I just buy a new chain? What do you guys recommend.

Kerosene according to the manual. I use Maxima chain wax, gold can.

+1 on cleaning with kerosene. The lube is a matter of opinion and there are several good ones to choose from. Maxima is good stuff too.
If the chain has any stiff links or brittle or crumbling O-rings after it's cleaned and lubed, toss it and buy a new one.

Kerosene according to the manual. I use Maxima chain wax, gold can.

+1 on the Kerosene (use a grunge brush). Look thoroughly through this forum, to get a feel or consensus, of what other riders use. Me personally, I get good results out of the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver (Lube). I do maintenace on mine, every 600 miles. :)

if you have it off REPLACE it with a real chain You will not be disappointed !! EK ZZZ

Only 700 miles there should be nothing wrong with your chain,as mentioned clean with kerosine and nylon brush, wipe dry, lubricate with a quality chain lube (I use the Maxima chain wax too).
Now if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then now would be a good time for chain/sprocket upgrade.
sixpack577 said what to look for as far as chain degradation.
PICTURES when you get it done ok?

Back