Remove Swingarm Inside House?

InfiniteReality

Registered
New arm and widened stock wheel due in tomorrow, so I'll mock it up and drop it off to powdercoaters the following day. I work on my bike in my living room and never had an issue doing anything but I know I will removing the arm with only front and rear stands.

I did a search and sounds like people use a hoist, assuming an engine hoist. Anyone forsee any issues I'd have doing it his way? Also it appears I could drop the header and use a jack to elevate and a friend to hold bike to make sure it doesnt' tip over but the header was a PITA to install. I could also borrow a motorcycle jack, but not thinking that'll work on a busa. I'm open to other suggestions as well! :)

Thanks for your help!

A floor jack and a block of wood works well. I would probably run down to harbor freight and pick up one of the front wheel chocks they sell. (Theres a thread about the coupon to get them cheap elsewhere on the forum) Then you can roll into the chock. Strap the front as though you were going to trailer/haul the bike. Then when you pick up the bike from the center, you wont have tipover issues.

If need be; you can make a chock out of 2x4s.

Essentially you just need to get that front wheel locked down nice and safe. If the front is secured vertically then you just have to support the bike swinging side to side.

Last edited:
I could use a wheel chock anyways, good idea!

Do you think with a block of wood I'd dent my header from the weight or with the front strapped down, there's really not too much weight on the jack/wood? This doesn't seem hard at all short of having to make the 32mm socket to get the arm off. :)

i plan on pulling mine off when the new one gets here, i plan to use a chock then jack stands under the rear sets plate where it mounts up to the bike(ofcoarse the pegs fold in, unless u have vortex types).....guess, ill have to figure it out once i get there.

I could use a wheel chock anyways, good idea!

Do you think with a block of wood I'd dent my header from the weight or with the front strapped down, there's really not too much weight on the jack/wood? This doesn't seem hard at all short of having to make the 32mm socket to get the arm off. :)

Header should take the weight.

i plan on pulling mine off when the new one gets here, i plan to use a chock then jack stands under the rear sets plate where it mounts up to the bike(ofcoarse the pegs fold in, unless u have vortex types).....guess, ill have to figure it out once i get there.

Gone the jackstand route too. Its a nice stable feeling. If you have a welder you could take a piece of flat strap and weld a rod perpendicular(sp) to it. Drill the appropriate holes. Then remove rearsets bolt on new "lifting plate" and have a solid spot for the jackstands.

Same thing could be done with wood and some countersunk holes, but if I tried to describe that one, youd definately think I was redneck ;)

i picked up the HF stand/chock for 40bucks... with a coupon from motorcyclist...

its big.. heavy... sturdy.. useful... no complaints

EXCEPT... i locked the bike into the chock AND put it on the rear stand also.

on the way up the front fender just touches the top of the chock, but once its on completely on the stand there are NO issues

using rearsets to hold it side-to-side is a good idea... just wish I had mine, lol. They'll be at powdercoaters with arm and rim and will have them back when I do the swap though. I think instead of using my rearsets, I just use one bolt from each one and put back in the frame and use that to support on jackstands. Not sure if they'll be long enough, but if not I'll just run down the road and get some longer ones to use. This is going to be easier to swap than I thought. :) Thanks! Can't wait to be rollin' a fatty by next week!!

I work on my bike in my living room and never had an issue doing anything but I know I will removing the arm with only front and rear stands.

OK, IS ANYBODY GOING TO ASK WHY YOU ARE WORKIING ON YOUR BIKE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM:lol:

I demand a picture of the bike torn up in the living room with the miss sitting on the sofa watching Dancing with the Stars.

I once rebuilt my suzuki dirt bike in my bedroom. That move cost me the RM 370 dad had promised me for Christmas that year!

One main reason, I'm single though will be married in 2 months. Hate to admit it, but I have no place outside for the cherry..... so it'll stay inside though no one believes me that it will. ...trust me, it will stay inside! :) I'll see if I can get pictures of the mess while she's watching TV this weekend :)

Where it's located now so I can watch TV while I work....sure beats whistling while I work! lol
SNC18191.jpg

Where it stays parked normally.
SNC18233.jpg

For grins, where the fiddy lives at and will continue to live. Computer room is MY room, she gets the 3rd bedroom as "her" room and do what she pleases with it just like I did with mine. :)
SNC18345.jpg

SNC17802.jpg

Last edited:
thats fing great....toooo funny......and here iam thinking about blowing out the small wall between my family room and the garage and replacing it with folding doors just to have that garage/game room feeling, not to mention to watch a little tv while i work on her....i

Where it's located now so I can watch TV while I work....sure beats whistling while I work! lol

Where it stays parked normally.
SNC18233.jpg

I am actually putting a 42" HD flat screen in my garage so i can watch while i work. Wife fought that one pretty hard because she knew it meant never seeing me again except for supper time:whistle: Compromise was I had to take it out of the bike funds rather than the house budget.

BTW that's my busa! 09 Silver/gray (I painted gray blue) with R77 slipons. Looks like you got the full system, did you get it dynoed? With slipons and custom PCV map I only got 171 HP. I plan to switch to the full yoshi after adding Ohlins.

Anyway, have fun and be safe and big ups for the wife control:bowdown:

Low Front Right.jpg

Last edited:
42" would be plenty of screen. Honestly it's pretty hard to watch TV while working, but it's way better than a radio because when you hear something cool on tv all you do is have to look up at it. :) I typically watch some sort of recorded sitcoms so I know the characters and just need to listen, lately it's been Married With Children, lol.

Yep full system, but never dyno'd it. It's only got 500 on exhaust and right under 1K miles. Been down for a few weeks now while playing waiting game on my swing arm and rim due to company being backed up while re-wiring stuff, installing stuff, relocating stuff, removing stuff, etc. It's way different now than stock, in couple of weeks it'll be way different than it is now. :) Gloss stock black rims (rear one with 240 and polished lip) being one of the differences. :)

I dig the blue instead of silver! Definitely different and an awesoem color combo. Got more pics?

Last edited:
Have I got more pictures, thought you would never ask....:mwink:

Don't forget to take photos of your build so we can enjoy it too!

Right side - small,jpg.jpg

Left Side - small.jpg

Slider Detail - small.jpg

Last edited:
Lift the rear with a rear stand, "Flip the driver pegs and use jack stand"!!!! Then pull the rear stand out. Works perfect. That way you are not putting weight on the header. And, it is very stable... :cheerleader:

Last edited:
Back