Remove Engine Counter Balancer?

SpeedGeek

Never Forgotten
I was reading on another sportbike forum and someone (former Busa owner) recommended to a new Hayabusa owner (and I quote here):

"On the subject of weight, the Hayabusa is a 550 pound motorcycle and could stand to lose a few pounds. There's extra stuff all over it that you can simply unbolt and throw away. Solid steel bar end weights, steel footpeg weights, the worthless tool kit and tank prop rod from the trunk, the passenger grab rail and two of the four hold-down bolts, the forward bungee bolts ("Frankenstein bolts"), the rear turn signals and all of the black plastic that hangs below the tail section (integrate the rear turn signals for $10), <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>the engine counter-balancer (remove it when you do the exhaust</span>), the PAIR system, and of course a nice lightweight aftermarket 4-into-1 exhaust system to replace the 35-pound stocker."

Of all the things I've seen and heard, this is NOT one of the normal mods people do for reducing weight. Isn't the counter balancer there to reduce vibrations? Can someone shed some light on this?

I wish someone with a large enough scale would weigh the Busa exhaust... I'll chew on mine if it weighs "35lbs!" .... exaggerated

And on the counter balancer.... so long as your rides are generally short, like 1/4 mile....and you don't mind vibration...then go for it....unless you are getting paid to run an extra 1/100th quicker....it isn't worth the effort when doing beginner mods.
The bar ends...again VIBRATION .... Zooks are known for it...many Kawis even come with dual balancers.....as does the new Bandit (I think).

Most of what was listed are squidly mods...those that think the engine prop rod is going to save you something. And anyone having ever "needed" the stock tool kit can appreciate it....as I did after glazing my brake pads one afternoon n the Cherohala. I pulled the calipers, dropped the pads, scuffed them up on the concrete and had them back on in less than 20 minutes and 2 beers!
all_coholic.gif

(BusaCruise @ Mar. 14 2007,14:21) I wish someone with a large enough scale would weigh the Busa exhaust... I'll chew on mine if it weighs "35lbs!" .... exaggerated

And on the counter balancer.... so long as your rides are generally short, like 1/4 mile....and you don't mind vibration...then go for it....unless you are getting paid to run an extra 1/100th quicker....it isn't worth the effort when doing beginner mods.
The bar ends...again VIBRATION .... Zooks are known for it...many Kawis even come with dual balancers.....as does the new Bandit (I think).

Most of what was listed are squidly mods...those that think the engine prop rod is going to save you something. And anyone having ever "needed" the stock tool kit can appreciate it....as I did after glazing my brake pads one afternoon n the Cherohala. I pulled the calipers, dropped the pads, scuffed them up on the concrete and had them back on in less than 20 minutes and 2 beers!
all_coholic.gif
+1

I totally agree that most of those "mods" are pretty squidly. I'd just never heard of actually removing the counter balancer to save weight.
all_coholic.gif

I thought it sounded lame, but had to throw it up on here to get some feedback. I have no intentions of removing mine. LOL!

(Mr. Anderson @ Mar. 14 2007,14:59) heck why not just drill holes in the frame while your at it?
all_coholic.gif
thats a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill brb

NOT!
pissed.gif
crazy.gif

I tossed my counter many many miles ago... weight savings... marginal...
quicker revs... yes
should you remove yours... probably not
does it add vibs... you bet!

If you're racing then it's something to consider. As far as loosing engine longevity.... I don't know what my mileage is right now, I don't pay much attention to it but for sure it's been more than 20000 for my engine with no balancer...

if its shaving like 50 pounds or near I would think about it...but, I don't think it is worth it...
rock.gif

The information I have states, dry weight 474 lbs. I don't know where you pick up 75 pounds mentioned by the author
rock.gif
Gas is 6.4 lbs. / gal. from memory. That's what less than 30 lbs. with a completely filled tank. 3.5 quarts of oil, coolant, I don't know.

(dadofthree @ Mar. 14 2007,12:24) The information I have states, dry weight 474 lbs. I don't know where you pick up 75 pounds mentioned by the author
rock.gif
Gas is 6.4 lbs. / gal. from memory. That's what less than 30 lbs. with a completely filled tank. 3.5 quarts of oil, coolant, I don't know.
You need to realize DRY WEIGHT repersents a bike with NO LIQUIDS, battery and other stuff. It's derived from the design enginers ESTIMATE of the bare wight of JUST the metal parts with NOTHING else added. The main reason is for estimated cost on shipping in bulk which the transport carriers base their rates on. So, that's why DRY WEIGHT means NOTHING to the end user  
muscle.gif

Wet weight given by several mag.s say 550 lbs wet. Which is a Bike they actually weigh on scales ready to ride  
beerchug.gif

You'd probably just be better off skipping a cheeseburger or two for lunch.
all_coholic.gif

(Justyntym @ Mar. 14 2007,13:39) You'd probably just be better off skipping a cheeseburger or two for lunch.  
all_coholic.gif
EXACTLY!!!

I'd just never heard of it before... doesn't seem very logical to me and I was surprised he offered this advice to new Busa owner.

Just goes to show what kind of advice one can get on most forums
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

There are several I know that remove the balancer.

The gains as mentioned above arte marginal to the increased vibs.

Drag bike/hot street yes, daily rider no.

If the balancer is removed and the Crank is Polished and Rebalanced by APE you should notice faster revs and no Problems. Nothing to argue about, The crank is a production crank and if properly done, it shouldn't be that heavy.

APE does a great job of making a properly balanced crank. I wouldn't just do the crank thought. I'd put real pistons in the beast and some real cams.

Unlock the true power on the MONSTER!
APE.com
stroker.jpg

Back