removal of mirror lens

Luvanicebum

Registered
How do you remover the mirror lens properly without clamshelling the edge or outright breaking the lense?
I was thinking a plastic paint scraper and a heat gun to soften up the plastic. But then you gotta get it back together...any ideas?

I second that question?
rock.gif
???

Somewhere in the archives of this place are two threads dealing with this question.

Search using "mirror" and "remove"....

Or, do like I did and start at Page 1 and read.
eek2.gif

How do you remover the mirror lens properly without clamshelling the edge or outright breaking the lense?
I was thinking a plastic paint scraper and a heat gun to soften up the plastic.  But then you gotta get it back together...any ideas?
I think I have figured out the perfect way to Remove the mirror with out any damage at all.   Take a big pot, fill with water, and heat it until it is boiling.  Stick the end of the mirror in the water for about 1 minute.   Take 2 cheap plastic spoons, and slide them into the corners of the mirror.   Stick it back into the water for a minute with the spoons hanging out of the mirror for about 1 minute.  Then when you take it out of the water, just pry on the 2 spoons at the same time, and the mirror just pops right now.  Works Great.

I have installed Acumen in mirror. I found out how to do it long ago after cutting one open. Just throw the whole mirror on top of a sheet of tin foil in your toaster oven on 300 degrees for 5 minutes. The plastic will become very pliable. Then I just used a steak knife and popped the glass right out!
Reverse to put it back in.

I have installed Acumen in mirror. I found out how to do it long ago after cutting one open. Just throw the whole mirror on top of a sheet of tin foil in your toaster oven  on 300 degrees for 5 minutes. The plastic will become very pliable. Then I just used a steak knife and popped the glass right out!
this is the way
thumb_up.gif

just make sure its a good size toaster oven, not a small one.

I have installed Acumen in mirror. I found out how to do it long ago after cutting one open. Just throw the whole mirror on top of a sheet of tin foil in your toaster oven  on 300 degrees for 5 minutes. The plastic will become very pliable. Then I just used a steak knife and popped the glass right out!
this is the way
thumb_up.gif

just make sure its a good size toaster oven, not a small one.
Yes! you dont want the top coils too close to the mirror. good call joe

Back