Remote Security Camera

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
A friend who owns a horse keeps it in a rural pasture; the pasture has several horses, a building with several horse stalls, and a small house.  Can anyone recommend a security camera system that would be fairly easy to install and to access remotely from a computer that is, say, 50 miles away?  Doesn't need to be streaming video (that would be the ultimate); maybe just a picture every several minutes or so, or maybe just when it's turned on.  Also, can it be done over telephone lines, high-speed internet, or satellite?  Can it be done wirelessly?  Thanks in advance for your help.

we use a security camera monitoring system at my bar that is accessed via the internet. im not sure what company it is through but it can be done and you can monitor as many cams as u can handle... so yes, internet cams are available, jsut not sure where to start looking...

SamsClub has a number of systems now... a DVR with 4 cameras is not so bad <$600 and they have a number of $100 cameras..

A cheap system (wired or wireless) can be bought at your nearest circut city.
to be able to access it remotely I would suggest using a video capture card (rca input)in a computer and upload it to a server on the computer which can be accessed over the internet.

You could use a free website server or ftp server.
abyss webserver or cerberus ftp server. it would allow you access to view the picture/video but not to control camera movement.
the web server would allow streaming video. your bandwidth usage would depend on how often you access the webpage.
It is also possible to just use a webcam with a program like "capture cam" and have the picture refresh when you choose and uploaded to where you choose

If no dsl/cable/satellite internet is available, you might want to look into a broadband aircard (such as from Verizon).

Save your self some money and get rid of the horses...
laugh.gif
Good one!

Thanks for all the input; I'll probably take a trip to Circuit City/Best Buy, then review them on the Internet.

Lots of options... Things to consider,
Clarity of picture and distance of objects being videoed.
Night time/Day time or both,
Number of cameras,
Analog or digital video,
Distance from recording source to cameras,
Where the power is located to run camera's/system,
Will the cameras be fixed mounted or remote controlled....

What will you be doing with the video once its captured? will you need to burn it or transfer it to another median? Do you need it to continue recording when the power goes out?

I have a 8 camera system on my place and these are some of the questions you should be asking yourself....
Hope it helps, Cost will be anywhere from $400 to the skys the limit... Buy the best cameras you can afford up front!

Lots of options... Things to consider,
Clarity of picture and distance of objects being videoed.
Night time/Day time or both,
Number of cameras,
Analog or digital video,
Distance from recording source to cameras,
Where the power is located to run camera's/system,
Will the cameras be fixed mounted or remote controlled....

What will you be doing with the video once its captured? will you need to burn it or transfer it to another median? Do you need it to continue recording when the power goes out?

I have a 8 camera system on my place and these are some of the questions you should be asking yourself....
Hope it helps, Cost will be anywhere from $400 to the skys the limit... Buy the best cameras you can afford up front!
Dang dude..are you monitoring fort knox or sumtin?
hello.gif

Just learned the hard way that not all systems or cameras are the same. When you really need them you better make sure your stuff was set-up right the first time. There are no retakes! My system was the eye in the sky for my two daughters growing up.... It was there when I wasn't (late at night, early in the am, etc..)Thank God I never had to rely on it for that but it did come into play for my neighbors place and family.

Great advice, and seems like there's more to questions to answer before purchasing (thanks, ks). And thanks everyone for the input (prof, ozzy, Mr. B, Ride_or, and 05busa), and ssin for the offer to help. I'll forward all the suggestions, and let you know what they decide.

Back