Remote cooling system

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
So this last weekend I had some time to take a few pics of some of the changes I made to my bike. Only a few people knew about it and Maxton was the place to test this stuff. I thought I would share it with you guys. :beerchug:

I tossed the OE radiator and relocated a much smaller one in the tail. This isn't a new idea or anything. The drag racers have been doing this for some time. Hell, some of them just run dry all together. From previous LSR races I've always noted the water temp drops from start to finish. It's actually over cooling my engine. :laugh: My engine runs pretty hot so on an engine with less bore and some other variables may produce different results. Below are a few pics and a chart that indicates the results I had. My water temp increased by less than 30 degrees for the duration of a one mile full boogey run. :thumbsup:

And some of you guys wonder how I got the weight of my bike reduced by so much :whistle:

dsc_0034.jpg

P5296760.jpg

P5296782.jpg

P5296781.jpg

cooling system.jpg

whats the bike weigh now,,and are you running 1/8 or 1/4 mile,,,,,,and whats your time on the runs,,,nice clean fabs,,,plus,,even tho the rad is in the back,,you still have a lot of air cooling the motor head on,, like an old air cooled version minus the fins,,,,

Last edited:
currently I've got the weight down to 396 lbs. w/o rider.

Front 216 lbs. (54.5%)
Rear 180 lbs. (45.5%)

I'm running 1 and 1.5 mile, no ET's but speeds over 200mph. :laugh:

Very impressive,,,thats over 100 lbs,,,the bike [if my memory is right] is 485 dry and over 500 wet,,,,you must of widdled everywhere man,,,nice weight distribution too,,helps to keep the front end down,esp with you on it,,,,,,,,a bike like that [I dont know what internal mods you have] and that light if you can hold onto it and keep her staright should have a nice 1/4 et,,,,,I saw the Nos and brock shorty,,,what else have you done and what HP are you at?? fuel cell 2 gallon?

Last edited:
no I don't. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I attempted to make a cover myself and was able to quickly determine that I don't have the skill set to make my own cover. Me and my neighbors ended up calling my "cover" the turtle (it looked so bad). :laugh: Which ended up in the garbage. It was so bad i didn't even want it as a dust collector in my basement. :rofl:

Draco did a really nice job on making a cover for his setup and even incorporated a seat pan as well. :bowdown: He's got some real skill.

Do you run a cover over your air box and fuel cell?

I haven't juiced this engine yet. Yea, this bike has lost weight all over the place over the years. The biggest weight savings were the tank, cooling system, wheels, swing arm, and battery. The rest of the widdling was always a little here and there where ever possible.
As fas as internal mods :whistle: Just about everything has either been replaced or molested. There are only a few things such as the starter idler gear and cam chain guides that are still OE. :laugh: In other words it's a shorter list to say what's still stock vs. what's not stock. I don't do the 1/4 mile stuff so I still haven't brought it there for any testing. Some day, but it's just not on my priority list. It was on a dyno a while ago and was pushing 250's but there's been more changes since then so I really don't know how much hp right now. Yes, the fuell cell is a 2gallon JAZ cell.

Very impressive,,,thats over 100 lbs,,,the bike [if my memory is right] is 485 dry and over 500 wet,,,,you must of widdled everywhere man,,,nice,,,,,a bike like that [I dont know what internal mods you have] and that light if you can hold onto it and keep her staright should have a nice 1/4 et,,,,,I saw the Nos and brock shorty,,,what else have you done and what HP are you at?? fuel cell 2 gallon?

Very nice idea, always coming up with something cool (no pun intended) aren't you~!~ :thumbsup:

each run is less than 30 sec. The starting temp varied according to ambient temp conditions. What the chart shows is only how many degrees Fahrenheit the water temp would increase from a 1 mile run at full boogie. It's a good average from all the runs I made during that weekend. There's alot more you can look at but it does indicate that it's possible to run a remote cooling system for LSR or a much smaller radiator in the stock location. My engine makes a ton of heat so I would expect someone else running the same cooling setup would have even less of a water temp increase.

How much time during the runs? Whats your starting temp?

Back