remapping

bird1300

Registered
Ok everyone. This may be a silly question but I got to know the answer so help me out if you can. Is it possible to remap the stock computer or would I be better off getting a power commander. My bike doesn't seem to have the responsiveness off idle that I would like. It seems kinda sluggish. Thanks for all info.

U can remap the stock com.....you need a special tool...

They're all rich it seems....down low...

The PC can be altered whenever ya want....

Why not try the usual mods first ?

yes you can but it is all or nothing

I would suggest a system that you can fine tune and get it to purr up and down the rpm range

I would like to keep the exhaust system that I currently have which is the stock with yoshi rs3 race bolt ons. Will the power commander help me get to where I want to be on its on or do I have to add a full exhaust system with it?

I would like to keep the exhaust system that I currently have which is the stock with yoshi rs3 race bolt ons.  Will the power commander help me get to where I want to be on its on or do I have to add a full exhaust system with it?
PC will give you the proper setting for the bolt ons that you have...They have a map for your setup...Depending on the year model of your bike you will need either a PC2 or PC3R...

bird1300, like STUNNAH said, depending on the year of your bike is what you have to do.

Not to start a debate, but I understand from 02 forward, the Hayabusa has the 32 bit ECU. Up from the 16 bit ECU in previous years.

Now, my local tuner said of the Hayabusa's that he has dynoed that were 02's, only one of ten needed a power commander.

The 32 bit ECU can make the necessary corrections for any aftermarket pipe. The 16 Bit ECU cannot.

BTW, Narcissus confirmed the change to the 32 bit ECU in 02.

Stealth

bird1300, like STUNNAH said, depending on the year of your bike is what you have to do.

Not to start a debate, but I understand from 02 forward, the Hayabusa has the 32 bit ECU. Up from the 16 bit ECU in previous years.  

Now, my local tuner said of the Hayabusa's that he has dynoed that were 02's, only one of ten needed a power commander.

The 32 bit ECU can make the necessary corrections for any aftermarket pipe.  The 16 Bit ECU cannot.

BTW, Narcissus confirmed the change to the 32 bit ECU in 02.

Stealth
So you are saying that the stock ECU can adjust for bolt ons right? Not a full system though...Correct?

BTW where you been Stealth? The SE crowd has been pretty scarce lately...

Revlis,

Actually, according to my tuner, the 32 bit ECU can adjust for any pipe, full system or slip on's.

bird1300, if you have not done the pair mod, do it. It will also correct the off idle, 2k to 2.5k, roughness that you speak of.

So, between the pair mod and the 32 bit ECU, a power commander is usually not required for any after market pipe.

Stealth

Hahahahaha good one.
The same Busas let's say -02 have the same map all the bikes(-02) so you are saying the all are mapped correctly from the factory
iamwithstupid.gif

the factory sets it up to pass EPA lean at the bottom and rich on top so...
no two bikes are the same due to press on cams ring gap bearing slection (it is called mass produced) so every bike needs to be mapped to run properly (run smooth and flawless)
It has nothing to do with 16 bit or 32 bit.
if your dyno guy says that 9 out of 10 don't need map maybe you should find another tuner
11doh.gif

Johnnycheese,

Ok, maybe he / I am wrong. Maybe I am not being technical enough, and, it was not my intention to start a debate.

Lets approach it like this.

It is an EFI, right?
It should work at 0 altitude to 12k altitude, right?
What makes the corrections, the EFI, right?
The ECU takes input from multiple sensors, right?
A 32 bit ECU can do faster calculations than a 16 bit ECU, right?

So, the 32 bit ECU should compensate for the difference in back pressure, created by the aftermarket pipe.

Now, if I am wrong, that's OK. After all, that's what this board is about. Tell me why I am wrong.

Stealth

because there is no sensor for backpressure
There is no sensor that tells the motor how fast the air is moving into the engine

Johnnycheese, Yes I do agree, but there is an AFM.

Air Flow Meter
The air flow meter, or AFM, is an analog device that “measuresâ€￾ the amount of air coming into the engine. On stock EFI setups, the AFM sits on top of the air filter box. If you look inside the AFM, you see a big vane, also called the flapper door. Air presses against this vane as it comes into the engine. The greater the volume of air coming into the engine, the more this door opens. Attached to the top of this vane is an armature that also moves as the vane moves. The armature slides across a traceboard, or resistor ladder, that acts as a potentiometer, metering an electrical signal that gets sent to the EFI computer (ECU).

Less back pressure means more air in, measured by the AFM.

Additionally,

The extreme accuracy of fuel delivery by the ECU, at any load or RPM, provides the engine with air/fuel mixtures that fall within a tiny window of accuracy required for maximum power, or maximum economy.

Stealth

got a picture of one I have never seen this item???

this what you do have on a Busa...
Air Temp
Water Temp
Cam POS
Crank POS
TBS
Atmospheric Pressure
And that is about it.
Cars and the 1981 GPZ1100 had Air flow meters not Busas

SO...Whats the bottom line here? From day one I have heard that with a full system, you will HAVE TO get a PCIII for an 02 to get your fueling tweeked correctly. Now I hear that you may not need one because of the 32bit processor.

Not trying to be pushy here, but I really could use a concrete, real world, actual factual, this is the way it is, kind of answer before I run out and spend money I do not need to, or conversely not spend money I should have...

Not choosing sides, I am just wondering if there is going to be a real solid answer to this...

Thanks Gentleman...

slip-on ,Stock, 4/1 all can benifit with a proper map.
Plus it won't hurt to have a Pc3.
All a 32 bit processor does is react faster than a 16 bit nothing more.
get a 4/1, a custom map,a pair repair, and you will be smiling

once again you are correct, they all will benefit from a remapp, but do you really need it? That is the real question, for you Johnny, it is not a question in your mind, you will remapp with a PCIIIR but for everyone else it may not be necessary. Like I responded in another post to you I personnally have not remapped my computer with Akra bolt ons and it runs perfect. So like I said before, you don't HAVE to have it, But it would benefit from it, if you feel you absolutely need it.

bird1300, if you have not done the pair mod, do it.  It will also correct the off idle, 2k to 2.5k, roughness that you speak of.

Stealth
I have done the pair removal and put on a tre. Off idle the bike seems sluggish but from what I have read by you all one thing could be agreed on. I could not go wrong by getting a pc3. BTW I have an 02. I have also heard from a guy that says he has installed the power commander and he too says it will make the bike run sooo smooooth. Thanks everyone!

loboboy,
the only fair way to answer that question is have it mapped and see if it is better.
or have it sniffed under certain different loads (spot check) to see if it is off

Cool Thanks, and a re-map is something we should have done anyway right? Bone stock or with slip ons, because as you mentioned above they thing will be tuned a little odd for emission/DOT approval anyway.

So when someone says re-map we are talking about some dyno time and hopefully a tuner that knows what the hell is going on right?

Thanks for your time...

Rev

I would only suggest a remap if you are not happy with the way it runs.

ie...( surgues, stumbles ,hesitates ,bogges, fuel milage)
Alot of riders think their bikes run fine but they could run better but that cost $$$.

I have also seen some that were spot on but the are few and far in between.

A good tuner is what is really needed a bowwed map only will work so good due to it was not made for your bike.

The tuner should be able to answer real questions and stand behind their work so I guess what I am saying is ASK QUESTIONS about how is working on YOUR bike.

Back