Remains of US Troops sent to Landfill?? Are you for real?

Heard this on the way to work this morning wearing the uniform of the USAF. I did not believe it and turned up the volume and still could not believe it. I thought to myself that this was very bad not only for the AF, but for the nation as a whole and should never, ever happen.

I am ashamed to admit that people in my service made a mistake of this nature.

Heard this on the way to work this morning wearing the uniform of the USAF. I did not believe it and turned up the volume and still could not believe it. I thought to myself that this was very bad not only for the AF, but for the nation as a whole and should never, ever happen.

I am ashamed to admit that people in my service made a mistake of this nature.

The part that pisses me off is that this has been SOP for a long time, not a one time mistake. Its all about the cover up. Heads should roll for this one!

I'm kinda confused?
Report says a woman was told that some of her husbands remains may not have been in his coffin?
So I'm guessing these would have been body parts lost when killed and unidentifiable?
If what went into landfill was bits and pieces and they simply had no way of knowing I'd say it still sounds wrong but also ask what should they do with a bunch of unidentifiable body parts?
If it was whole remains and could have been identified or already were that it is really wrong.

Let this play out. The practice stopped in 2008 so why is it coming up now? I strongly suspect that a 'green/blue-suiter' didn't make this decision, but in all likelyhood a DoD Civilian Bean Counter. Remember, the article said "bits and pieces NOT identifiable by DNA", so let's wait to hear the full story.
For the most part, the personnel that work at Dover treat returning soldiers remains with respect and dignity, and they work very hard at it. They have a very tough job, taking what's left of a human being, sometimes just pieces, and making that into something that fitting for the families grief. Have you any idea what comes back in a body bag? I'm sure that many are truly embarrassed over this, and that's why the Air Force took action and stopped the practice, but not until after the PR damage had been done. Then they withheld it as to not cause additional pain on the families (sometimes the best of intentions go awry). I like some of the ideas offered as alternatives (National Park, at Sea, etc.) We don't need a "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Parts".

If they left off my big toe, or an arm or a leg, I would not be offended (and I wouldn't want my wife to know, either); I don't need it anymore. Pay it the proper attention, but no need to over-sensationalize as all it does is causes additional unnecessary pain and suffering to the families.

It is a standard hospital practice, and that's when they even KNOW who the parts belong to.

I'm kinda confused?
Report says a woman was told that some of her husbands remains may not have been in his coffin?
So I'm guessing these would have been body parts lost when killed and unidentifiable?
If what went into landfill was bits and pieces and they simply had no way of knowing I'd say it still sounds wrong but also ask what should they do with a bunch of unidentifiable body parts?
If it was whole remains and could have been identified or already were that it is really wrong.

Yes, it was body parts not bodies. Good question, what do you do with small parts or limbs of a buried soldier? The thought of a landfill is horrible, but I wouldn’t want my love one exhumed so they could place additional remains in a coffin.

why not cremate all the pieces and give them a berial at sea or something other than a dump?!

why not cremate all the pieces and give them a berial at sea or something other than a dump?!

I like that idea and think it has merit, but then some tree-hugger group or Greenpeace will come up and talk about how we are destroying the ocean dumping hazardous waste...no matter what, someone will complain....

Yes like I said bits and pieces in a landfill just sounds wrong.
Why not have a bits and pieces official grave sight or something where they could still be respected?
And I'm sorry to be speaking about parts of fallen soldiers like this.

I tried to comment on this and just can't write anything within the rules of this board.. so I will say this
l
l
l
l
/

Should heads roll... Hell yeah!!!!! Start at the top the commander and chief if he knew about this, start with his head and work your way down. Everyone invovled in this should be gone and out of whatever position they held along with their pension and benefits, and when they pass on from this world throw them in the trash, cause that is where they belong. :angry:

Back