Registering my Busa

qcmc22

Registered
I bought a Busa in Las Vegas and tried to get it registered in California. Nevada doesn't require engine numbers and I didn't realize that there wasn't one on there. Now, the CHP has my bike until I cam find another engine case. They told me that Ihad to find another engine case with numbers on it so I can get it back.
Does anyone in Southern Cali have a blown engine lying around?

oh bummer, you got a stolen bike. even if you get another engine, you will have a bike without matching numbers. and it is likely to get taken by the police again if ever parked in public.

??? something just doesn't sound right here. I have never heard of the HP doing such a thing.

getting your bike back in boxes yes, but never something as fishy as this.

:watching:

Have the numbers been ground off or is it just a clean finish or nothing has ever been there? Cause I know when you get replacement cases from Suzuki they do not have any numbers on them.
Will they release the bike to you if they keep the engine? I ran into the same situation several years ago with A zx12 I Bought. The state of Virginia held it for me until I paid the insurance company that paid the bike off the engine come from.

I guess I would be looking up the law in CA.

The VIN is what's used in most cases. That is usually a sticker on the frame.
To see the engine number you have to remove something to be able to see it.

Do they require engine numbers on 4 wheel vehicles?
Is the Engine # and VIN # on the registration for the vehicle?

Any chance you could contact the seller and ask if he owned the bike since new?
If not, does he have previous owners info? Might be worth asking.

Have you owned other motorcycles in CA? If so, was this always the case, that they needed engine #'s?
If first motorcycle to register in CA, ask around if that is standard procedure to require those numbers.

Back to my first statement - look up the law - Sometimes the cops do things just because they can get away with it, if someone doesn't know the law.
Educate yourself - if you don't know for absolute that is the way it's gotta be...

JMHO

Maybe Pashnit will chime in. He lives in CA and should know what's what...

Back