registering a non us model

whzyrd

Registered
how hard would it be to register a non us model in arizona or is it possible and or worth the effort
thanks
Rich

i did it in jersey
the bike comes from canada
since i'm here with a work visa i didn't have to pay any taxes ( i gunno about you)

FIRST
get a letter from suzuki saying the bike conforms with all the us standards (DOT, EPA...). I had a contact name but can't find it. Try calling Suzuki Customer Service at 714-572-1490. You need to know the vin# first.

In my case, there was no MPH on the speedometer I had to make the change before importing the bike. They wanted me to use a REGISTERED IMPORTER so they can certify that my speedometer was indeed comforming and working. (Bullshit) I didn't use any and told them I had both miles and km on the bike when I bought it.

THEN
You will find info on the DOT
DOT WEB SITE. There is a form on the DOT web site and a link on the right for an EPA form. You might not need it but print them just in case.

Get all your papers and go to the US customs near you or at the border. They will make you fill some paperwork. And give you a piece of paper to go to the DMV.

This is where I am now. I need to go to the DMV now. I imported my car previously and it was very simple. It's like registring a new car.

Good luck.

You don't have to do any of that stuff. You just need to have a smart DMV that will look up what you need in there Regs if they don't have it memorized. They will tell you that you need this and that like above but it isn't required.

I don't know what the manual is but it says in the DMV book that any vehicle from Canada meets US Specs and that they will accept the New vehicle Invoice as a title. As long as they know this, they can make you a US title on the spot and finish the rest of your paperwork.

Don't let them give you crap about this! They can do it if they want to but most are to lazy to look it up and want you to do all this extra work for them. I went around and around about this with the Oregon DMV for 4-months and ended up talking to the right person and had my title in the mail in less than 30-minutes.

All I did was drive to Ontario, pick up my 2003 Black Special Edition in the back of a truck and drive across the boarder to Ohio. Got home and sent my paperwork to Oregon since I am military and have an Oregon license. Oregon has NO-sales tax so I didn't have to pay that(you will have to pay this if not a NO-sales tax state) and got my title in the mail. Total price was $9,016 OTD!

Josh
cool.gif

I guess I didn't speak to the right people
I spoke to 5 diff person to make sure they got it right.
You are lucky you foung one but here in jersey they suck ass.
I imported 3 vehicules and you need at least the mfr letter for compliance to go to the custom and get the custom pink slip to go to the dmv.
Even the US custom at the border didn't accepted my receipt for the faceplates. Even if I showed them. So I went the Newark Custom office and never told them I changed the faceplates, told them it came like this (MPH and KPH)

Back