reflective banner ? ride on base? where?

riggsracin

Registered
Got a job on base i need a reflective vest or banner to ride my bike to work? where is the cheapest place to get one?

I was told in order to ride on any base (ARMY) had to take a safety course thru the army, was givn an ICON mil-spec vest worth $55.00 after course was completed. Don't know if this helps you any or not.

icon vest.jpg

I just throw a reflective belt on and roll. They also want you to wear boots above your ankle. Cops usually enforce the rules against riders. If you need a reflective belt let me know or send me your addy. I have access to some.

I don't understand the Department of Defense. They did a study on vest safety a while back and the out come was: The rider is 0.04% safer when wearing a reflective vest. A rider has a higher safety chance wearing a bright helmet. The Marine Corps and the US Navy already dropped wearing vest in their bases since last summer. When is the other services going to get with the program? I live inside an Army base so I have to put on my "fag strap" when I ride. As long as its a Navy/Marine Corps base you can roll right it without wearing a vest.

1340 is right about the Navy bases. I never wear one.
If you want to go cheap, Champs Sports has jogging vest in different colors for 10 or 15 bucks. They just snap over your jacket for when you are on base.

lol@join the Navy. Don't have to wear on in the Marine Corp. But late nights and early morning I do wear my Icon Reflective vest or the Mil spec bag just in case. I have been taken out from the rear or driver swing out to far into lane before on a 04 1k, and first Hayabusa Blue/Silver the driver said he didn' see me. During the day I don't but at late night is is a def...

Not sure what Navy bases you guys go to but here in SoCal, a reflective vest is STILL required during the "hours of darkness." This really gets crazy for me because Camp Pendleton no longer requires the vest but Sailors are still required/expected to do so.

Last edited:
Not sure what Navy bases you guys go to but here in SoCal, a reflective vest is STILL required during the "hours of darkness." This really gets crazy for me because Camp Pendleton no longer requires the vest but Sailors are still required/expected to do so.

All Navy installations are like you described. You have to wear reflective outer garments at night. They are highly recommended during the day.
I think its funny how much they talk about safety but you only need a long sleeve shirt?

LOL, If it's an one of our Army bases you ask the peeps at the gate to direct you to "Military Clothing and Sales" It's where we go to get our uniforms and such. Ask MCS for a "Road Gaurd Vest" they start at like $5 if your trying to be cheap... these will do until you get a good one. but WARNING!!! they start to fall apart at about 160mph:whistle:

Let's see if I remember the verbage before the order was changed.

Motorcycle PPE. Personal Protective Equipment
Over the ankle hard sole foot wear.
Long pants
Shirt or jacket extending to the wrists
Gloves
Dot helmet eye protection
Reflective vest with:
2 2in wide reflective strips vertical or horizontal on a yellow or Orange base color.

To me that meant long sleeve shirt with a runners vest.
Was t-bone by a dumb lady dressed that way. During dusk-not fun. I kept the bike up. But now I never ride without my jacket on.

I stopped wearing my vest when in one day 3 cars on 3 roads almost took me out. One lady was looking at me in her rearview and stopped short of read ending the car infront of her.

My understanding of the updated order is. A proper motorcycle jacket with appropriate protection and reflective materials built in. is required at all times in place of the vest.

We(Marines) are required to obey rules of the base/service we are riding on. Keep my vest in my hump for. Dusk dawn and base.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back