Reef tank setup

My first attempt at fragging.  I cut this piece off my large hammer coral and put it in my nano.  After about a month, it's doing fine.  The hairy legged crab is another hitchhiker.  He behaves so he stays!!
My hammer head is pretty big but I am not sure if I want to split him.  How would you split them?  I have heard with a sharp chissel.
I had a local reefer show me how to do most of the soft corals.  I use a flat, tupperware dish about half full of aquarium water for the "operation".  Mushrooms are easy, just cut them mid stalk and stick the top in a new location with a toothpick. After about a week, the stalk will grow a new top, the top will attach and grow normally and spread.  I don't think I've killed one yet.

Hammer and Frogspawn is easy too.  I just cut through the soft tissue with an exacto knife and then split the lower, hard portion with an old knife.  Once to take it out, it looks kind of like cauliflower, you should be able to see where it's best to separate.  I used crazy glue gel to attach mine in its new location. It works under water with a little practice!!  You might want to buy a bunch of live rock chuncks to attach the frags to. That makes things easier. I keep my spare chunks in the sump.

Good luck!!
That sounds pretty easy I might try that on the pearl bubble since is so big.

My first attempt at fragging.  I cut this piece off my large hammer coral and put it in my nano.  After about a month, it's doing fine.  The hairy legged crab is another hitchhiker.  He behaves so he stays!!
Oohhh..that little guy reminds me of my little hitchhiker that turned in to a BIG monster...

SHE tore up my tank...I had no idea that I'd lost my turbo snails to her until I bought a dozen or so, dumped 'em in the tank and then she came out, grabbed two and carried 'em in to a cave...she was eating 'em like candy!  We tore the tank up trying to get her...

I gave her back to the guy I bought live rock from; she must have hitched a ride on that...

Here she is, taunting me days before I got her out...she looked like yours, just black...so, watch him!
I got rid of all but two that must have been hiding. So far my red guys seem to be pretty reef safe. They pick at the corals but only at the dead parts. They also do a nice job of scavenging flake food and other tank CRUD. If they start messing with anything, OUT they go!! I can reach in and grab mine but they cling on the the live rock so hard I'd almost have to kill them to get them loose.

Have at it Rich!! So far, knock on wood, I haven't killend anything yet. To bad we live so far away, I do alot of trading with the local guys.

BEAUTIFUL Rich, I've got a 125 Gal w/ a 40gal long sump. it's been down for a while now, haven't been able to get everything back together moreso haven't found the time to set it back up. don't want to start it and then get the bike and neglect the tank, lol

Back