Reduce Weight, Only 1 Front Rotor?

image.jpeg
And for what it's worth..... 6 pounds (empty of fluid). 08 stock rotor, crossover line and caliper. Bolts are put back in wheel.

Your missing rotor bolts for weigh in as well as caliper mount bolts. That's another 6 to 8 oz.

My Busa ain't light she's a tour girl with givi v 35 bags . Edit its hard to reply from a tablet so no in front of a key board . If I leave all racks/bags off my busa is maybe 40 lb lighter than stock .

Shori battery saved 8 lb
Exhaust R77's saved 19 lb
Pair delete 1.5 lb
LSL bar kit saved 4.5 lb
Mirrors .5 lb
Tires 2 lb
License plate mod .5 lb
Tool kit delete 2 lb

There is more weight from Titanium bolts but its more bling / finish than for weight savings .
What I have when I put all the bags/racks on is a bird thats maybe 10 lb lighter than a OEM bone stock bird . However with a jockey sized pilot it rolls out with zero issues .
I'm saving for A FULL SYSTEM Akrapovic most likely that will save another ten or 15 lb .
I dont race the bird just haul ass across country . 9000 miles in 1st year with zero commuting.

Not to many people can carry a ZRX1200 cylinder head on their bird or deliver a homemade B day cake for some friends motorcycle shop night .

20160717_004728_zpscadwgogo.jpg

20160709_133219_zpslecx1rgx.jpg

20160709_123712_HDR_zpsbqdfjkbg.jpg

20160708_202201_zpsybbaig4b.jpg

20160708_202027_zpsfiewdzsi.jpg

20160705_201524_zpswbrdhw6i.jpg

20160409_143609_zpsgyktcd6k.jpg

20160401_164041_HDR_zpsr9u4jq29.jpg

20160401_192736_zpsqkadtpyo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you one stock front rotor is just over 3 1/2lbs. Depending on linear style caliper or radial caliper if I recall the radial is slightly heavier. A radial caliper complete is about 2 1/2lbs. The rotor bolts are 7oz. So you are looking about 6lbs. 7oz.

I can tell you one stock front rotor is just over 3 1/2 lbs.

Depending on linear style caliper or radial caliper if I recall the radial is slightly heavier.

A radial caliper complete is about 2 1/2 lbs.

The rotor bolts are 7 oz.

So you are looking about 6 lbs. 7 oz.

You'd be better off with one less gallon of fuel . . .

loweredtank.JPG

I finally got mine down to 470lbs with full tank of fuel. Not a drag bike but in race trim.....lol......in other words no mirrors or a horn. Running 2 gallons of fuel in the bike and it gets it down to 450lbs.

In absolute street legal form with mirrors and horn, 475lbs. I use Honda Blackbird mirrors which are heavier than the Busa's cheapy mirrors.

Let's just say this, you end up working on removing pounds then ounces then grams.........the smaller the weights the higher the cost. The ratio is pretty scary...........ask me how I know....lol

I forgot I removed belly wing / bracket that was maybe 2 lb combined . Side stand switch gone as well .

dam this has been a few minutes . Picture was on the top of the page . Click , and here some older stuff . I had dual exhaust then lol .

I might be missing something here. But if beating someone with years more experience in a drag race is what this is all about fwiw imho taking. Rotor off is a waste of time and may bite you in the butt when you are street riding
If you want to save weight go to the track with only a gallon of fuel in the tank. And bring some more in a container. Of course this presumed you trailer Fuel is ten pounds a Cdn gallon.

Since one rotor has enough power to lock the front wheel, the logic is that anything past that is overkill. I personally like weight that is low and in the front, and the idea of redundant braking is fine with me.

I might be missing something here. But if beating someone with years more experience in a drag race is what this is all about fwiw imho taking. Rotor off is a waste of time and may bite you in the butt when you are street riding
If you want to save weight go to the track with only a gallon of fuel in the tank. And bring some more in a container. Of course this presumed you trailer Fuel is ten pounds a Cdn gallon.
I've not eaten all day and ran out of fuel on the return road in the pursuit of winning a drag race, so I understand the sentiment, but removing a front brake doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I've not eaten all day and ran out of fuel on the return road in the pursuit of winning a drag race, so I understand the sentiment, but removing a front brake doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

If the bike's sole purpose is to drag race and nothing else, one front rotor might be OK, if the bike is going to serve a duel purpose, leave both rotors, it is a heavy bike with gobs of power and one rotor would suffer serious brake fade on the street in my opinion. Suzuki spent millions of dollars and time to sort out the brakes on their bikes for a reason.

My $0.02

If the bike's sole purpose is to drag race and nothing else, one front rotor might be OK, if the bike is going to serve a duel purpose, leave both rotors, it is a heavy bike with gobs of power and one rotor would suffer serious brake fade on the street in my opinion. Suzuki spent millions of dollars and time to sort out the brakes on their bikes for a reason.

My $0.02
Millions of dollars !! , for tokicos that were inadequate in feel and somewhat lacking in power , in either 6 piston axial or 4 piston radial for 12 years and '13+ only invested the $ in half a fix , with the monobloc Brembo mated with that same master cylinder , holding it all back , right from day one !! :)

Millions of dollars !! , for tokicos that were inadequate in feel and somewhat lacking in power , in either 6 piston axial or 4 piston radial for 12 years and '13+ only invested the $ in half a fix , with the monobloc Brembo mated with that same master cylinder , holding it all back , right from day one !! :)
I would wager the R&D would be in the millions over time would it not? I always thought the R&D was the money.

I would wager the R&D would be in the millions over time would it not? I always thought the R&D was the money.
Brakes from the parts bin , at the bottom in this case . The bike is always going to be built to a price , the engine got the full amount of good money , the chassis too , then the running gear , eventually down to some compromised components . Still love the Busa from stock to full mod !!

My $0.02
My bike is essentially drag only. While it still has functional lighting and a plate, it's tuned on C16, the forks are cut and ground clearance is minimal. Tire and chassis setup favour straight line performance over everything else. Still got both front rotors, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

My bike is essentially drag only. While it still has functional lighting and a plate, it's tuned on C16, the forks are cut and ground clearance is minimal. Tire and chassis setup favour straight line performance over everything else. Still got both front rotors, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Makes sense to me..

Back