redbox Movie rental. ShimSham

RedFalco

Donating Member
Registered
So we get our credit card statement, to find a 110.00 dollars in late fee charges. Now we have returned every movie we've rented religously the next day. We call billing and explain to them that we have never been late on a return. Tell them we are new customers and just started using this service on the begining of this month. They stick to their computer records and say we have had 3 movies for in excess of two weeks incurred towards late fees. Who keeps a movie for two weeks? Of coarse, we have no record of ever returning the movies nor does their services provide any type of reciept proving such.
Now the last few times we went to the location, there was a line about 4 people deep trying to rent movies from the automated box. They could'nt get movies because the box said they only were limited to 5 movies per customer. The people collaberate around the box stating they had no movies rented out and did'nt know why they were not able to rent a movie. So everyone chaulks it up to "The box must be out of service".
Talk about steaming hot. This sucks, can't even dispute the charges because what grounds do we have to stand on as far as proof of ever returning the movie?
Customer BEWARE.
We have reported this service to the BBB, but gots me thinking, what will that do? I'll never use this service again and I'm out 110.00 that could of went to a new MAC arm...lol
:banghead:

Anyone had similar experiences with this service?

Last edited:
no dealings with that service but netflix debited my bank account for 7 months after I canceled my subscription.
Had to pay my bank $25 fee to stop the auto debit or they would try it every month. Hope you can get it worked out, but I doubt it cause the customer is always wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would still dispute the charges on your card; the CC company has more clout and may possibly be able to get things straight. If they get enough complaints, they can pressure the company. FWIW, I NEVER let anyone (Except my mortgage co) auto-debit any card/account of mine.

I like the new concept that is coming around. rent and toss it. pay to rent it is good for 48 hours then self destructs electronically. I hope to see more of these. just seen some at the airports.

Never tried Netflix, from the sounds of a debit type account, thats no good either.
Guess we'll go back to "old school" movie renting.. Block buster or buy em.

Got a response back from BBB. Seems we are not the only customers this happened too. I guess this is why they only charge a buck to rent movie titles (yeah right) They know they can scam you on late fees because there is no proof that you can provide showing when you returned the movie; its all in their computers. Customer service / billing did not care if we ever returned nor that we were first time customers trying their services. They refused to credit us the 110 dollars back in late fees. We asked if they ever had any intentions on providing the customer a paper reciept of sorts (like a gas pump) stating when movies are returned. They said "no intentions because thats how they keep their costs down low but we do give a onscreen verification that the movie was returned. Oh yeah... and "Have a nice day".
:cursin:

Customer beware of these services.

Last edited:
I would still dispute the charges on your card; the CC company has more clout and may possibly be able to get things straight. If they get enough complaints, they can pressure the company. FWIW, I NEVER let anyone (Except my mortgage co) auto-debit any card/account of mine.

I don't use auto debit for anything anymore I learned my the hard way I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess you could take a digital picture of the return confirmation, and if it fails to give you one, call them immediately. I use hastings...cash and in person.

Dont know why you are having the problems.

I love our redbox.

They have my email address, everytime I rent a movie, I get an email saying I rented the movie.

When I return it I get an email showing I returned it and how much I was billed.

Red box rentals are .99 a day. if you keep it 10 days you get charged 9.99

They do this up to I think it is 30 days, at which time they just bill you $30.00 and it is now your movie to keep.

redbox

I love our redbox.
They have my email address, everytime I rent a movie, I get an email saying I rented the movie.
When I return it I get an email showing I returned it and how much I was billed.
They do this up to I think it is 30 days, at which time they just bill you $30.00 and it is now your movie to keep.
redbox

But if you don't have the movies how can they bill you this? We had no idea about a so called email confirmation as this was the very first time using this type of service. We just started getting the email confirmation two days ago along with a welcome email. 21 days after the fact, but never a confirmation email on the movies we were charged 100.oo plus dollars on. Keep a close eye on those emails would be my suggestion. Good luck w/ it, I on the other hand will only get burned once - quick learner when it comes to services scammin' my hard earned dollars - I'm bannin' this service indefinately as there is absolutely no customer focus or concern on their behalf once so ever.
I like this line on their site:
Redbox easy $1 a night DVD rentals. With no late or hidden fees ever
:rant: Yeeeahh... Okay George... :rant:
Called our bank and gave them the story. They said they will document the complaint. In the meantime they recommend not using the service.
Think we'll stick w/ ON DEMAND through cable for those suspected one time viewing type of movies.
kk... I'm done... peace out..lol

Last edited:
THat sucks Looks like I'm not gonna use that service anymore but it could also be a debit scam too where someone pulled your info knowing that the service would dispute any claims against it I like on demand it's easier

I love our redbox.

redbox
I was about to say the SAME thing. I LOVE REDBOX:cheerleader:

I have Netflix, thinking about canx it though..takes to long to get the good new releases, always says there is a long wait...sux:(

**UPDATE**
Seems the Better Business Bureau has more "pull" than I thought.
We get our credit card statement and see 105.00 transaction on the bill from RedBox.
Wife is steaming- calls the customer service and starts jumping on them about said transaction, stating that we have not rented a movie since this incident was reported. Turns out after blaming the customer service rep.. that the transaction was a credit to the card...
:cheerleader:

We said thank you and went our way. The next day to follow - we get an email from the BBB telling us that a reply was sent from our entry against RedBox stating that they credited our account monies owed. Needless to say we still will not be utilizing these services, which really sucks because we were really enjoying the convienence of it all..

ohh well.

Get off yer lazy a55es,jump on the Busa,or walk to the fuggin corner store to rent yer ****. :rofl:

:poke: Lazy bastids.

RSD.

I get an email whenever I rent and whenever I return....not sure why you dont. You have to use your email to sign in.

Are you sure you have not got notices and just deleted them?

Also I thought after so much late fee you just buy the movie any way.

either way..dispute with CC. there are prolly others with the same problem that use that box.

I like red box more than netflix cause I felt like I needed to hurry up and wath the netflix so I could send it back to get my next one.:laugh:

Did you use a debit or credit card? If it's a credit card, you need to dispute the charge under "did not order the goods/services". Explain your story and let the CC company hash it out with them.

If you used a debit card, you are at the banks mercy. I'd still dispute it anyway.

Good luck.

use www.HULU.com its free!
also its against the law to charge late fee's in eccess of the value of the movie....I.E. if the movie cost the rental store 18$ to purchase then they cannot charge you more then the value of the movie (meaning they cannot charge you 18.01$+)in late fees..this ruling was upheld by the supreme court:poke:

We use Netflix. I have nothing but good experience with them. Their profit margin is pretty high with customers like us because it takes a lot to get us motivated to watch a movie.

They have a huge library of movies you just can't get from Blockbuster.

You can set up a queue of movies that will be delivered in the order you specify.

I've kept movies for months at a time without returning them because we never got around to watching them...I think four months is our record to date for keeping a movie.

They bill us something like five or ten bucks a month...whatever the minimum service is. Even if we only watch one movie every two months or so it's worth not having to deal with the pain of having to drive to the video store, spend twenty minutes trying to select the "least bad" movie from their limited selection, then deal with the future high school dropout behind the counter. Then have to think about returning the movie, find the time to execute the return, spend a buck in gas to get to the rental store and back twice, and most importantly - spend an total of an hour of our time just to procure and return a movie...on top of the two hours it takes to watch the movie to begin with.

The mailbox is so much more convenient. Watching just about anything Hollywood can produce anymore is such a chore to begin with.

Back