Rectifier recall notice came today

OK, so I had the recitifier module replaced by my dealer on Friday. While I had the rectifier replaced, the tech checked over the bike and adjusted the drive chain tension. It took him awhile to replace the rectifier since the pipes were hot so he had to let the bike cool down. So far so good. He takes the bike for a customary test ride, performs a NY state annual inspection and off I go. I get 5 miles from the dealer and the bike dies, NO electrical power at all, as if the battery was suddenly removed. I coast to a stop on the side of a very busy road and think WTF??? I call the dealer, he sends a mechaic with a truck, arrives 20 min. later. He checks the connectors to the rectifier, connections are good. We load the bike up into the truck and take it back to the dealer. Once at the dealer he finds the main fuse, 30 amp fuse, is blown. Doubles checks the rectifier wiring to make sure it did not come in contact with the exhaust pipes. The wiring is good. Check the battery voltage, it is fine, 12.8 Volts. Cannot find the cause of the blown fuse. After about a hour of checking connectors and wires, they give up. They give me a few extra fuses and a lesson in where and how to change the fuse. Since I had chaged the oil myself and replaced the stock brake lines with braided stainless steel lines, they started to say the blown fuse might have been caused by something I did. No way, no wiring was touched or moved. I also had put on about 500 miles since I changed the oil and changed the brake lines. OK, off I go for the 50 mile ride home, no problems, the bike runs fine. I get home with no problems. I had a lot of work to do on my house this weekend so ocassionally I would fire the bike up in the driveway and let it idle. I wanted to get more run time to see if the fuse would blow again. The fuse did not blow but the battery did get run down from the start stops that I had to charge the battery, apparently the battery does not get enough of a charge while the bike is idling.

Since the cause of the blown fuse was not found, I am VERY nervous about taking this bike on any trips (planning on a 600+ mile ride this weekend). I spoke to the dealer today, they want to drive up to my house, pickup the bike and replace the rectifier. NOTHING else was changed on the bike before the fuse blew, only the rectifier recall was done. It is possible the "new" rectifier was a bad unit. Just don't know.The blown fuse must have been caused by the rectifier, it was the oly thing that was changed.

Also, these rectifier run HOT, way too hot to touch. This is a really crappy design to allow a piece of electronic equipment to run that hot. I wish I had measured the operating temp of the original rectifier.

I'll post the results of the continuing saga.

I know the feeling, 34k miles, no problems, do I want to mess with a good thing? I wonder if they will just give me the new one as a spare. :whistle:

OK, so I had the recitifier module replaced by my dealer on Friday. While I had the rectifier replaced, the tech checked over the bike and adjusted the drive chain tension. It took him awhile to replace the rectifier since the pipes were hot so he had to let the bike cool down. So far so good. He takes the bike for a customary test ride, performs a NY state annual inspection and off I go. I get 5 miles from the dealer and the bike dies, NO electrical power at all, as if the battery was suddenly removed. I coast to a stop on the side of a very busy road and think WTF??? I call the dealer, he sends a mechaic with a truck, arrives 20 min. later. He checks the connectors to the rectifier, connections are good. We load the bike up into the truck and take it back to the dealer. Once at the dealer he finds the main fuse, 30 amp fuse, is blown. Doubles checks the rectifier wiring to make sure it did not come in contact with the exhaust pipes. The wiring is good. Check the battery voltage, it is fine, 12.8 Volts. Cannot find the cause of the blown fuse. After about a hour of checking connectors and wires, they give up. They give me a few extra fuses and a lesson in where and how to change the fuse. Since I had chaged the oil myself and replaced the stock brake lines with braided stainless steel lines, they started to say the blown fuse might have been caused by something I did. No way, no wiring was touched or moved. I also had put on about 500 miles since I changed the oil and changed the brake lines. OK, off I go for the 50 mile ride home, no problems, the bike runs fine. I get home with no problems. I had a lot of work to do on my house this weekend so ocassionally I would fire the bike up in the driveway and let it idle. I wanted to get more run time to see if the fuse would blow again. The fuse did not blow but the battery did get run down from the start stops that I had to charge the battery, apparently the battery does not get enough of a charge while the bike is idling.

Since the cause of the blown fuse was not found, I am VERY nervous about taking this bike on any trips (planning on a 600+ mile ride this weekend). I spoke to the dealer today, they want to drive up to my house, pickup the bike and replace the rectifier. NOTHING else was changed on the bike before the fuse blew, only the rectifier recall was done. It is possible the "new" rectifier was a bad unit. Just don't know.The blown fuse must have been caused by the rectifier, it was the oly thing that was changed.

Also, these rectifier run HOT, way too hot to touch. This is a really crappy design to allow a piece of electronic equipment to run that hot. I wish I had measured the operating temp of the original rectifier.

I'll post the results of the continuing saga.

I say let 'em have the bike, but record your mileage, to keep everybody honest-re "test rides" FYI, 30 amps is a lot of current, I would say if not a direct short-which I would think you would see some evidence of-at least there occured a very low resistance to ground, of which, the product would be heat....
13.8volts x 30amps = 414 watts

I got my recall a while ago. The only problem is there is only one place to get it changed. I have been on the waiting list for 2 months now. At least my original one has not given me issues in the 9k I have ridden the bike. I do use a battery tender.

Sent from my GSBv1.7-ERIS using Tapatalk

I know the feeling, 34k miles, no problems, do I want to mess with a good thing? I wonder if they will just give me the new one as a spare. :whistle:
Same here, 17,000 miles and over 2 and 1/2 years old. I'll stick with my original rectifier!

FINALLY got the replacement, 3 months of back log and missed opportunity to have it done. Showed up with the bike ready to go(took my plastics off prior) 15 minutes later, OTD.

Back