rectifier location

thebiggripper

Registered
Could someone post a pics or give a brief tutorial on how to find and remove the rectifier on a gen 1? yes used the search function, but didnt find any thing that specifically gave location and removal info. I gather its in the tail section, but what all do i need to remove to get to it? thx

Pull your hump and rear section off. It's located on the subframe, on the clutch lever side of the bike. It unplugs and has 3 bolts holding it on.

Pull your hump and rear section off. It's located on the subframe, on the clutch lever side of the bike. It unplugs and has 3 bolts holding it on.

i think its a 11mm socket needed

!B,c2YLQBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEqtC+i7rVBKri7CJ5,g~~_35.jpg

well i have a starting problem. Replaced the battery a week ago and for an entire week it performed flawlessly. then last nite after an hour long ride it wouldnt start, had battery checked this morning and it checked good. after reading several threads here, a process of elimanation leads me to suspect a rectifier issue. Input please.

Put a volt meter on your battery. If the battery discharges as rpms are brought up, its the rectifier or stator. Rectifier is way easier to access, check it first. The rectifier is a common part with several other Suzuki bikes if you are buying used. It's either battery, stator or rectifier.

I'm such a newby but could the rectifier or stator stop the bike from starting? or do I have another issue?

If the battery is fully charged, it should start even if the stator is not working. the stator is the wire coils part of the generator for the battery. it doesn't charge anything until the engine runs. The battery alone can power the ignition for a while without getting charged from the stator. Probably 15-20 minutes or so if the battery was at 100%. I know road race bikes sometimes have the stator removed and they just put the battery on a charger between sessions.

I still don't know what the rectifier does. Regulator/rectifier??? IDK if that would stop the starter from cranking or make the power too low to cause ignition.

If the battery is fully charged, it should start even if the stator is not working. the stator is the wire coils part of the generator for the battery. it doesn't charge anything until the engine runs. The battery alone can power the ignition for a while without getting charged from the stator. Probably 15-20 minutes or so if the battery was at 100%. I know road race bikes sometimes have the stator removed and they just put the battery on a charger between sessions.

I still don't know what the rectifier does. Regulator/rectifier??? IDK if that would stop the starter from cranking or make the power too low to cause ignition.

The Reg/Rectifier converts the AC output from the stator coils to DC and also controls or 'regulates' the voltage to stay at a steady 'on demand' 12.5V to 14.5V.

The Reg/Rectifier converts the AC output from the stator coils to DC and also controls or 'regulates' the voltage to stay at a steady 'on demand' 12.5V to 14.5V.

This is correct. A bike would start with a defective regulator/rectifier, as long as the battery has enough juice.
Refer to the shop manual to check charging and to find out what component is at fault.

Great thread !!

thx everyone for posts

My '02 starts hard sometime, now I know what parts may be faulty and how to check.

thx again

thebiggripper Also check your ground. I had a similar situation that you can hear the starter solenoid clicking but won't start. I then check the Starter solenoid, 2 contacts. (top first then the bottom one and was 12.50v. Per Frank (powerhouse) I verify with a voltmeter if the 12.50v was getting to the starter and it did. The last thing was to verify the Ground cable jump the ground cable from the starter to the battery. Brooom Bike started!! I then added 2 ground cables to the busa with no more issues. Good luck!

Back