rectifier issue. please help??

mayor750

Registered
Battery kept dyin. Had to change batt stator rectifier. Fine for a month then started again. Harness from rectifier melted. Wires were switched around. Had to cut harness out and rewire. Thoug
ht prob solved. Not the case. Wires still melting and rec is hot. At wits end. Anybody have same issue? The only electrical mod is silverstar lights. Don't want to have to replace stator or rec again. Please help!!

I have seen it happen, get a new rectifier and double check your stator.

Have you check the current draw with the bike running? And have you check the charging voltage with the bike running? Is it within specs?

It's all within spec. Could the wires be crossed again since harness gone? How to tell which wire to which? Only 3

I dont a service manual on this computer. I bet someone can post it up for you so you can check the wiring.

Did you run all the basic steps for troubleshooting the electrical system? First step - check the stator coil resistance and output. The resistance across the stator leads should be between .2 and .7 Ohms. The unregulated output from the stator should be 70 volts at 5k RPM, and that should increase a bit as the RPM's go up past that point. The regulated voltage at the battery should be 13.5-15.5 volts at the battery at 5k RPM. Also, test your battery - a bad battery that is constantly attempting to charge can draw a lot of current and make a lot of heat.

Back