Recovering your seats.

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
Anybody here recover their own seat with a cover you may have gotten somewhere else? If so, was it a pain or fairly simple.

the seat pan is plastic you can go to any store and buy material and put your own seat cover on it. Just get the proper staples and maybe a tack hammer and off you go.

maybe a stupid question...but what are the proper staples? I can't just use my staple gun and blast them in that way?

I have recovered plenty of seats the way i suggested to you. Kids round here like zebra crap and lions etc. Works and looks good when finished. By proper staples i ment strong metal ones from menards or loes. just make sure you dont get too long of ones.

I have recovered plenty of seats the way i suggested to you. Kids round here like zebra crap and lions etc. Works and looks good when finished. By proper staples i ment strong metal ones from menards or loes. just make sure you dont get too long of ones.

+1
A manual staplegun works fine.
I've done several over the years.
A pneumatic stapler does make it faster and easier though.

I did my B-King seat a couple months ago, and with a manual gun. I'll post some pics in a min.

To be honest with you Ive seen a couple guys that did it on their own and they look good from afar but look like chit when you get up close. I said the hell with that and paid a guy who works at a car upholstery shop to put it on for me. He charged me $35 and it was well worth it cause he used a steam machine to stretch the material over the seat and it is flawless. No wrinkles, no unevenness , and it actually feel more comfortable than the stock seat :whistle:

B-King seat, recovered with Kontour material, and done with a manual staple gun.
Stock is the silver/black.

014.jpg

020.jpg

026.jpg

024.jpg

028.jpg

To be honest with you Ive seen a couple guys that did it on their own and they look good from afar but look like chit when you get up close. I said the hell with that and paid a guy who works at a car upholstery shop to put it on for me. He charged me $35 and it was well worth it cause he used a steam machine to stretch the material over the seat and it is flawless. No wrinkles, no unevenness , and it actually feel more comfortable than the stock seat :whistle:

+1
Some material does need to be steamed to fit well.
You can use a an iron for that if need be.

Seat foam is a solid piece.
Some are glued to the pan, some aren't.
There is a gel pad pictured too, which I removed.
Previous owner had someone add it, and I didn't like it.
Seats are easy, you may/may not need some practice if you've never done it before.

019.jpg

i done alot of seat covers through out the years and i always used a pneumatic gun... i used second look and lui moto seat covers and they were allways high quality... here is a few pics but there not that good...

hayabusa 040.JPG

2009-1-29 parts for sale 002.jpg

I ordered mine from some shop about 8 years ago. Also picked up a used set of seats on ebay to install them on in case I wanted to go back to the stock look.

I used a staple gun to install and they look absolutely perfect even after many years and 22K miles. It would take a really special kind of person to screw up something so simple.

Front has a blue Kanji embroidered in which looks really cool. I have been thinking of pulling them back off, shaving out some of the factory foam and replacing it with a soft memory foam and then putting them back on.

seat6.jpg

Back