Recommended maintenance schedule questions

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Guinevere is approaching 7500 miles. The book says replace the plugs.

1) Do I need to?

2) If so, stock or aftermarket?

3) If aftermarket, which ones?

TIA

Don

bump.gif
Someone who has lots of miles on one of these things knows the answers.

Don

I'm planing to do it on 10k mile check and tune...(just got 9k...) and I'm with old way for NGK but, these days man all the crazy thing going on, even about the plugs too...like an Iridium plugs going to be hottest plugs on the market, but it doesn't last long...so, if you are up for the all the brands and pros and cons? you are more than welcome to try all the stuff, other wise, stick with whats been out there for a long time...and don't do plug until 10k if its doing fine...thats what I would do... my 2 cent
rock.gif

The stock plugs are like 22.00 at a dealer. I changed mine at 3500 miles with the oil and filter. The book I think says 7500 miles, so don't be cheap just change them. It took me about 10 minutes.

The stock plugs are like 22.00 at a dealer. I changed mine at 3500 miles with the oil and filter. The book I think says 7500 miles, so don't be cheap just change them. It took me about 10 minutes.
It is not a matter of being cheap. It is a matter of what people have experienced as being the best performing plugs for our bikes. My cobra ran very well on NGK TR6s, better than the Motorcraft plugs that came in it.

Don

You can the stock plugs at Auto Zone for like 3or4 bucks...If their brown their fine white to lean black to rich...

I must have overlooked that in the manual. Mine are still stock at around 20k miles. The engine still seems happy.

Chris

I changed mine at 7,500 the first time, but they looked brand new when I took them out. I'm in the process of changing again this time I let them go for 18,000 miles and they still look good, so there are most likely no real good answers, I would change them when your engine needs them to be changed. In a car the plugs will make it no problems to 100k, but then again they run at less rmps and lower temps too.

You might be able to change the plugs in 10 mins but for sure you can not get to them in 10min, you have to take off your tank and airbox, unless there is a way to get the airbox out without taking off the tank, I just don't see how that could happen.

Back