Recommendations.......

Odyssey

Registered
Just wonding what the rest of you would recommend me getting for my busa. Im not interested in race, (yet
waffen036.gif
). But im curious if a tre (or just a resistor) is worth it.

And if anyone knows where to get/how much quad pipes are, it would be appreciated.

Spend the money on suspension upgrades, track days, and riding schools. That will give you maximum enjoyment of your bike. Not much poser value for sure, but your friends won't be able to keep up with you anymore.
ernaehrung004.gif

Gar

Also any info on cleaning and lubeing the chain would be helpful since this is my first bike with a chain.

I check my tires, chain and cables before each ride. I use Sikolene racing chain lube (its a dry lube and less messy).

I think the most important upgrades (for me anyhow - big rider) are suspension and brakes. Get the suspension setup for your weight and riding style. I did the rotors and master cylinder but a set of braided lines will work.

Go out to your local track and do some track days. A club at my track (Portland Int Raceway) does full track days w/instruction for $175. Three different classes for diff skill levels. Beware though, once you start riding on the track you'll want to ride the street less and less. It'll humble you the first time you get passed by bike riding two-up.

Forgot about the Tre. I added one to my bike (02) and I think it was a waste of money. Also, if your on a tight budget spend the money and get the bike dyno tuned (mine was done w/a yosh box so I saved a bit on the PC) before you buy a aftermarket pipes.

If you get the bike properly dyno tuned, you can ditch the TRE altogether (unless you are doing top-end and haven't opened up the ECU). If you do a TRE, personally, I'd just do it yourself with a 5¢ resistor instead of a $75 one.
wink.gif

You probably won't notice much by dyno tuning a bone stock bike, since it was optimized (give or take production tolerances) from the factory. Its the mods that require fine tuning of the fuel mapping.

On the chain, I'd personally avoid waxes. Almost every day, I place mine on its stand, run a toothbrush with spray lube (WD-40 and the likes) on both top and bottom and then drip gear oil with the wheel rolling. I have 12K on my current chain and it's well within tolerance. It will probably see another 12K before it is replaced. With waxes, I was stretching chains no matter what I did. My method (which is really 'by-the-book' more or less) is messy, but I'd much rather spend my money on gas than premature chain wear (that's an extra 3-4K miles in gas, BTW).
wink.gif
You can also get a Hawk or Scott oiler to automatically lube while you ride... again, a bit messy, but you have to ask, do you ride to ride, or ride to show?
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Yeah... about those track days....There are is only one place to that...The Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway, Indy 500/Brickyard. They dont really like motorcycles on that track. The only other place is at the IRP and i think they only have a drag. Are there any others anyone knows about nearby (within 300 miles). Im in the center of indiana.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td> (Narcissus @ Aug. 04 2002, 04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you get the bike properly dyno tuned, you can ditch the TRE altogether (unless you are doing top-end and haven't opened up the ECU). If you do a TRE, personally, I'd just do it yourself with a 5¢ resistor instead of a $75 one.
wink.gif

You probably won't notice much by dyno tuning a bone stock bike, since it was optimized (give or take production tolerances) from the factory. Its the mods that require fine tuning of the fuel mapping.

On the chain, I'd personally avoid waxes. Almost every day, I place mine on its stand, run a toothbrush with spray lube (WD-40 and the likes) on both top and bottom and then drip gear oil with the wheel rolling. I have 12K on my current chain and it's well within tolerance. It will probably see another 12K before it is replaced. With waxes, I was stretching chains no matter what I did. My method (which is really 'by-the-book' more or less) is messy, but I'd much rather spend my money on gas than premature chain wear (that's an extra 3-4K miles in gas, BTW).
wink.gif
You can also get a Hawk or Scott oiler to automatically lube while you ride... again, a bit messy, but you have to ask, do you ride to ride, or ride to show?
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sorry but what a ECU and how do you opened it up ...
in the past i've been only riding bone stock bike w/o any mod.
so i'm not quite used to some of the term use here thanks
but my mechanic told me that WD-40 is not good for the chain ... is it true

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td> (Narcissus @ Aug. 04 2002, 04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you get the bike properly dyno tuned, you can ditch the TRE altogether (unless you are doing top-end and haven't opened up the ECU). If you do a TRE, personally, I'd just do it yourself with a 5¢ resistor instead of a $75 one.
wink.gif

wink.gif
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How do you know when the chain is within specs?

Also, I tried the oil and PJ1 route, but here in Nevada, it is so damn dusty that the chain looks like poop after a ride or two. I am JUST using WD-40 now. The chain has less "grit" stuck to it, the bike looks cleaner, and the chain spins free. I guess I fail to see how any lubricant could prevent stretch...?

confused.gif

wink.gif

Back