Recent motor work = problems

FireMedic

Registered
2007 BUSA, 7k miles, brocks aliened, airbox mod, 17/43 gearing, PCV, speedohealer

2nd gear started slipping so I decided to have it repaired and upgraded since the motor would be Work was done by a reputable builder:

-Port/Polish head
-Cams, manual cam tensioner, adj cam sprockets, new cam chain
-Valve Job/springs
-Thin gasket 13:1
-tranny repair undercut all gears
-clutch mod (welded and added an extra clutch ring he said) ?
-wideband commander data logger
-air shifter kit
-direct port nitrous system 50shot dry, schnitzel micro storm controller

I picked up bike from builder and brought it straight to a reputable tuner to get it on dyno
The tuner flashed ECU, got motor dialed in and made a nitrous pull with controller @ 30%
When he went for 2nd pull on spray controller @ 100% something happened and he shut the bike down. The tuner said i needed heavier clutch springs.

I installed a slave support and 3 heavy duty spring with 3 stock springs
I pulled out plates and fibers to look at them and they looked new. The new clutch kit was installed when above work was done.
(Versa HD clutch springs) they looked just like stock springs

I took bike out for a ride and @ hard acceleration in 5th & 6th gear the RPMs seem to climb faster then the bike is moving. I was told 3/3 clutch springs/slave support would fix problem but it hasn't.
I didn't feel much of a difference in clutch by adding 3 HD springs which I thought was strange.
Some are telling me to go all 6 HD springs, others are saying stay with 3/3 and shim all 6 springs with washers.

Bike has a lot of power but doesn't feel like it has the power it should.

Any ideas of what could be going on and how to solve it?

I didnt think the welded clutch cam needed an extra ring but I dont know that much. Surprisingly the builder did the clutch mod but didnt go to HD springs. Did he mention them? The clutch mod really only helps your launch, doesnt seem to do anything for higher HP clamping but he knew you were going to be going nitrous. I dont understand why he didnt do any more than the cam mod. Your hand is going to be in agony riding the street with 6 HD springs. My HD springs look nothing like stock springs. In fact, they require a different bolt to hold them onto the legs of the inner hub. Let me try to get a picture.

I was thinking the same thing about builder mentioning the springs but oh well. The project didn't go as planned and had some communication issues with builder because of me working out of the country. Think I'll just order another clutch kit with APE or Brock HD springs and see if that works. I've had many bike but this is the first one with engine work and something just doesn't feel right. Any help or advice is appreciate.

It kinda sucks because I have the feeling he knew you were going to a tuner right after that and he probably should have figured that it wouldnt make it past 80%tps without slipping. And the tuner not having HD springs on hand messed up your whole plan. Just 3 of these springs takes some getting used to with your hand. I went to a two stage lock because I just couldnt get the feel for launching with them without what felt like burning the clutch to keep the tires from spinning. I dunno, learning as I go. Anyway, here is what my springs look like.

Ormond Beach-20151029-00006.jpg

I dont know what brand they are, the tuner popped them in when the stock springs didnt hold anymore somewhere around 60% or something. No doubt I overpaid to have them put in on the spot, me not knowing any better.

I did the 3/3 springs when I put a new clutch in mine. I used the same bolts and I can't really tell a difference in lever pull unless I am in heavy traffic. There are some differences I have a gen 2 and no engine mods.

Whos springs are you using?? If they are Barnett, and painted yellow, use all of them!

Back