Rebuilding Old, I mean old motor!

bwminer

Registered
Anyone have any advice on rebuilding my 99' with 170,000 miles on it! Yes, 170k.

I just bought a top end (block and head) from an 06' with 3500miles on them. Was thinking, always wanted, a 1397 kit. Would replace the lower end bearings with the kit. I know this sounds crazy, but I know how this bike was maintained and riden, and yes it still runs fine. It is only down about 10-15% over all four cylinders as is. I drive it regularly (obviously) and just want a dependent bike with a little more power than stock. Yes it has a pipe and all the normal goods on it.

Hot dam man, you've made that busa LAST!!!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown: I know they go a long time, but thats crazy mileage for a high performance sportbike engine....even a big one :laugh:
Honestly I'd pick up a low mileage gen2 engine and bolt it in. It has all the mods you want to do already done.....and it'll give you a big boost in power and run another 170k with factory reliability. Sounds like it would meet your needs perfectly :beerchug:

That goes to show you that with reg ular maintance these bikes really hold up,but i would too go with a gen 2 motor,factory reliability,170000 whew.

Man, that is Mercedes territory! I am really impressed!

+1 for the Gen II motor.

But since you've already bought a new head and cylinders, even a "stock" rebuild will likely feel more powerful compared to your tired motor down 10-15% on compression.

I agree with everyone. You can go with the gen2 setup or just factory freshen what you have, either way you'll love it.

Although, if I were at 170K on the factory engine and all that was missing was a little compression I'd ride it until next year so I could brag that I made 200K on the original engine!:thumbsup:

I would hit 200k before switching the motor just so you can say you did it :laugh: as long as it still runs fine like you say

If I was you I'd just measure the piston to cylinder clearance, it's probably within tolerance, rings and a hone, valve job, new cam chain and you'd get another 170k out of it.

cheers
ken

Back