Reasons for not stretching

BusaTrip

Registered
I have noticed that some members have stated that they dont want to stretch their bikes. I am curious to learn some of the negatives that come from stretching. I understand the benefits that you get from it. But if you are a part time drag racer(or even occasional), What are some of the reasons that you decide not to do it. Im not looking for a debate on wether or not to stretch. Just curious as to the cons. or even the reason that made YOU decide not to. ie. you dont like the looks or maybe it hurts the performance on the twisties. ...Just trying to get some insite because I am considering doing it. ???

Depending on your riding ability.
up to about 4", you'll probably not see much difference. Most people don't use modern day sportbikes to their capacity in the twisties anyway.

I just want a 3 inch cheater arm. Wheelies less and it would still handle pretty well
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see the point, if Rickey Gadson can run high 9's with a stock 600 without being stretched. I say save that money and attend his quarter mile school. I would stretch my bike if I do this for a living, or a seperate bike just for that purpose.

I would also prefer not to have a spinning wheel of road water and grime on my back after a wet ride.

I ran mine at the drag strip for 2 years before stretching it with a 3-4” arm. It did make a difference in wheelie control set toward both ends. It also made a difference in turning on twisters. I could still turn it without problem, but it took more effort to make the same tight turns. Enough that mine is back off the bike now that I’m not drag racing anymore. I might still go back to drag racing every once in a while, but I’ll stick with the stock arm, I like it that much better on the street.

It looks like you have a Gen II bike. The tail and lowering will cause you some issues. I think you can go 2” pretty easy but after that you can run into problems. Do a bit of searching.

Looks are a personal preference. I not that fond of the stretched bike look unless short along with an extended tail. Regardless, I still prefer the stock look.

There are pictures of my bike in the classifieds with it stretched at both ends of the adjustment. It looked fairly stock even at 4” but I still prefer the looks of it at stock length.
3-4 over McIntosh Gen I Busa cheater swingarm w/shock and chain - Hayabusa Classifieds

i will stretch it only 4" in winter . I aimed at the 9nes without stretch and got them.
I ride on normal roads ,and know i will loose much handling.

But i have a second bike for cornering fun ,my Tuono :bowdown:
If i had only the Busa i wouldnt do it.

But with the Tuono i wouldnt go dragging ,its too week and weehlies to much.

i like the stretched style ,if it dosnt take to much handling from the bike.
Never would "overstretch" even if it looks cool :whistle::beerchug:

i went 6 over, my arm can go out to 10 over. it makes a HUGE difference in the way they turn. anyone that says otherwise is in denial. its not hard to ride by any means, but if you took it out and whipped it in the twisties your gonna notice it. your gonna want to get the stock shock resprung. our sponsor goldenchild can get you hooked up with a drop in unit at a good price. i plan on spraying my bike and getting the 6+ catalyst and a tiger tail and see what it does. it spins now on a stock tire, i got a new set of tires im gonna try if it still spins bad im going to a stickier tire and if i get wheelie problems on the bottle i still have about 4" i can go out.

pics of my bike

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/134357-couple-newer-pics.html

the busa can be ridden into the 9's well at swb, and can be raised back up relatively quickly and have all your handling back to stock. these are the reasons why i wouldnt stretch. i plan on getting another bike for general street riding so i stretched the busa.

Last edited:
Not a fan of long arm's.
I do understand there use and have owned and used them in the past.

My personal theory is....

# If you cant notice a 3" or 4" stretch or think its hardly different,

or

# Your not running low 10's on a stock arm,
(even on a stock bike)

...then, maybe you need to look at your own ability rather than the bikes.

Great for the drag's but spoil a good road bike.
Unless its done for "the look" in which case your a lost cause anyway....:laugh:

On my 08 last year it was only 3" over and I drag race it. On the street no real difference in handling. This year I bought a 6" over street tail and now am @ 8" over. For me I love the ride and handling since I went 8" over, its a more comfortable ride also because of being 8" over I can launch the bike alot harder and therefore I am running 9.8's in the 1/4.
Going longer will also " soften " the suspension. The swingarm acts as big lever and the longer you go back the more wieght you put on the rear shock. You will need a stiffer spring to offset that effect. As far as appearance goes if you look at my bike you would not really notice that its stretched that far. With the 6" over tail I painted it the factory black and the added the factory decals and just a quick look at you cant tell, it " looks" stock.
The pic is only back 6" but you can get an idea of what im talking about

0731101720aMA27676798-0024.jpg

Last edited:
If everything is setup right the difference between a stretch and no stretch is the wheelbase. Shorter wheelbase bike tends to have a more neutral center of gravity (cg) and is easier to flick back n forth in the twisties. On a bike that has lots of torque it also means the bike becomes more wheelie prone. So the difference with a stretch is that your cg is more forward and you can hammer down more power before you begin to wheelie.

I don't see the point, if Rickey Gadson can run high 9's with a stock 600 without being stretched. I say save that money and attend his quarter mile school. I would stretch my bike if I do this for a living, or a seperate bike just for that purpose.

I want to see a (STOCK) 600 go 9s:whistle: show me:rulez:

Back