Rear Wheel Not Centered

Go Go

Registered
Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying that i tried searching for previous threads talking about this issue and nothing. So here it goes. I have R1 wheels on my Busa. I recently had my motor rebuilt and when I got the bike back, I noticed the rear wheel was not centered. Meaning, if i look at the wheel from the back of the bike, the wheel sits more to the right than it does to the left.

I dont remember if it was like that before i took it in. I have removed the wheel a couple of times, and everything seems right. Nothing seems out of place.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Any and all help is appreciated.

Well your chain is on the left side of the bike which is going to offset the wheel to the right as it is....it's normally more noticable on a wide tire kit.

If it was a Busa wheel it should be centered. Is there evidence of rear sprocket uneven chain wear?
I had to have my gsxr wheels sprocket carrier machined to get to center when I grafted it to my old gs bike. I also had to shave a spacer plus use large washers.

What year R1 wheel? Knowing the wheels year may help other readers. I've never done an R1 wheel, but it's a known swap so I'm sure somebody will have a solid answer for you.

How far off is it? How much chain to tire clearance is there? Is the chains angle correct, or does it look "off". Any multiple washers on the left side?

Are there spacers on either side of the hub? If so, maybe they're different widths and they have them reversed?
If there are spacers and they can be machined down. You can machine the left side spacer and add large washers to the right side. This will move the wheel to the left. You would need to check for available potetial component clearance and you'd have to take the proposed adjustments into account and make sure the sprockets are in full alignment after all of this.

For me it was difficult to determine that the countershaft and rear sprocket were in lign. To do so, you can put the bike on a rear stand and turn the wheel by hand (in neutral/motor off) and watch where the chain rides on the rear sprocket. If it is ligned up you'll be able to see that the rear sprocket teeth are riding in the middle of the chain links and not touching either of the links plates.

Last edited:
Back