Rear Wheel Chattering

Demond Rhodes

Registered
Ok I have a 2011 busa with a 330 outside drive roaring toyz kit.Bike lowered in the front 3/4. Kit worked great until I changed the stock shock and added a bleed feed air suspension. No when I throttle and let go my whole rear end vibration and shake like crazy. I have checked every nut and bolt set rear air shock to different ride height but can get it to go away. Bout to put stock shock back on and see if problem still exsit. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

Ok I have a 2011 busa with a 330 outside drive roaring toyz kit.Bike lowered in the front 3/4. Kit worked great until I changed the stock shock and added a bleed feed air suspension. No when I throttle and let go my whole rear end vibration and shake like crazy. I have checked every nut and bolt set rear air shock to different ride height but can get it to go away. Bout to put stock shock back on and see if problem still exsit. Has anyone ran into this problem before?
Hi. That is a good start put the shock back on and see what changes. I had air ride worked ok but went with a Penske

What kind of adjustment do you have on the air shock (not that familiar with air rides)? Sounds like the shock is having trouble controlling the weight of the wheel. I have heard that the grip you get on a 300 series tire is significantly more than a 190 or even 240. I would crank the shock up stiff and ride it a bit, then crank it down ride it, etc. Will take a day or so but unless you know someone who knows the settings that's the drill. Note to be care when adjusting the suspension as bad settings can cause a spill! BTW MPH above is right. If this doesn't get you anywhere its back to the old shock.

Also, when you installed the air shock is it possible something was installed wrong?

What kind of adjustment do you have on the air shock (not that familiar with air rides)? Sounds like the shock is having trouble controlling the weight of the wheel. I have heard that the grip you get on a 300 series tire is significantly more than a 190 or even 240. I would crank the shock up stiff and ride it a bit, then crank it down ride it, etc. Will take a day or so but unless you know someone who knows the settings that's the drill. Note to be care when adjusting the suspension as bad settings can cause a spill! BTW MPH above is right. If this doesn't get you anywhere its back to the old shock.

Also, when you installed the air shock is it possible something was installed wrong?

No bumps. When I release my throttle the bike start making the noise I see in the video. Go youtube and type in hayabusa rear wheel chattering...not sure if im having rebound issue but it driving me crazy.

It sounds like it is chatering / bouncing while the load transfers to the front end , like the rear shock has far to much rebound . Try backing off the rebound . Also have you set the static sag spring tension , had to ask .

Last edited:
That’s an awful sound, but you wouldn’t think it would do it when you let off the throttle. All the weight is shifted to the front as you slow down, so not sure what can cause that on the rear. Brakes locking up? Hope you can figure it out

It did it with the stock rear shock and the platinu air system....so at 1st we thought it was the air ride because problem didn' exist till the air suspension was installed. But now we have the problem with air ride and stock shock.

That’s an awful sound, but you wouldn’t think it would do it when you let off the throttle. All the weight is shifted to the front as you slow down, so not sure what can cause that on the rear. Brakes locking up? Hope you can figure it out
Brakes not locking up at all.

I think it is because the rear unloads and the rebound is bound up (hard) , sort of smacking the tarmac as it keeps trying to push down and only comes back into some sort of order when power is reapplied . I think get the shock happening first , set the spring tension, that is your sag . If you can't get the tension right your spring is not right and everything else will be stuffed . About 15-25mm bike sitting ? I think 25- 40mm you on the bike . These are my estimates and what range I used for Ohlins and what they reconmend . Probably close to stocker shock needs I guess... once again within that range should okay .
This is what I would try , don't go out testing to hard , slowly slowly bro .

Have you tried tightening the compression and rebound adjustments on the shock? Does the air shock have those adjustments?

You got a huge contact patch as Arch pointed out , I really think you need to take the time to set the sag , get it close to right and then you attack rebound .I wouldn't touch the air shock unless someone on here actually helps you with experience . Personally I would set the sprung shock just cos it is a fairly kown quantity .

I think it is because the rear unloads and the rebound is bound up (hard) , sort of smacking the tarmac as it keeps trying to push down and only comes back into some sort of order when power is reapplied . I think get the shock happening first , set the spring tension, that is your sag . If you can't get the tension right your spring is not right and everything else will be stuffed . About 15-25mm bike sitting ? I think 25- 40mm you on the bike . These are my estimates and what range I used for Ohlins and what they reconmend . Probably close to stocker shock needs I guess... once again within that range should okay .
This is what I would try , don't go out testing to hard , slowly slowly bro .
Problem is once I put air system back end I don't have away to adjust sag adjustment in the rear. And I'm running a 330 roaring toys outside drive set up

Back