Rear wheel bearing destroyed after tire replacement

Nope. Bike ran great, better than when the chain was lose. Smooth and quiet. Then the bearings went out - first sign of anything wrong. I got a shimmy. Tried to make it to a stopping place. Slowed down. Got worse then rear was unusable - huge wobble. Stopped on road and got it home in a trailer (thanks AAA).

I've never seen or heard of a chain that was too tight that didn't pop as it went across the teeth.
And if it was tight enough to ruin bearings, but not damage the sprockets or chain, even though it didn't help, there had to be another cause. Previous loose axle nut, or just bad bearing(s) from the factory.

I've never seen or heard of a chain that was too tight that didn't pop as it went across the teeth.
And if it was tight enough to ruin bearings, but not damage the sprockets or chain, even though it didn't help, there had to be another cause. Previous loose axle nut, or just bad bearing(s) from the factory.
maybe arch didn't set his sag :)

I hear you Six. wouldn't believe it except it happened to me. It's possible bearings were bad and this pushed it over the top.

how can you act that way when working on a customers bike?
I watched an employee throw my wheel on the floor right in front of me. The tire was on and the rotors were not damaged but would you throw your wheel on the ground? That was the last time I ever saw that employee. The manager was standing right there when it happened. That was the last time I had tires put on at a shop too.

I would fringe or have a heart attack if the average Suzuki dealer or general bike shop laid a hand on my Busa.

That is one area I must admit Harley dealers have their stuff together. They use good mechanics who are certified and know their stuff in most cases.

I would fringe or have a heart attack if the average Suzuki dealer or general bike shop laid a hand on my Busa.

That is one area I must admit Harley dealers have their stuff together. They use good mechanics who are certified and know their stuff in most cases.

Yeah but all they’re working on are giant air compressors and besides, tire mounting is typically done by the least experienced ‘mechanic’ in the shop.:D

It's
Sort of a funny story turned out to be my fault due to too tight chain. Had to go apologize to the owner and mechanic.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/bearing-failure-ruins-bash-plans.168190/
It's funny coz there is no need for the dealer to adjust the chain when removing/refitting rear wheel, UNLESS they assess the chain tension to be OUT of adjustment.
I know a guy that has a m/cycle tyre shop and told me he NEVER adjusts chains on customers bikes for this very reason. He ALWAYS tells the customer it is THEIR responsibility to check and adjust the chain, and if they have no idea how to do this, then they need to learn!!
Chain adjustment can so easily turn to custard, especially if the chain is excessively worn or damaged in any way.
Then it becomes the perfect reason to come back to the shop and blame any issues/failure of the chain or bearings on the poor mechanic that was trying to be helpful. I've seen it. :confused:

Yeah but all they’re working on are giant air compressors and besides, tire mounting is typically done by the least experienced ‘mechanic’ in the shop.:D
I don't call them giant air compressors, they are more suitable as boat anchors.
Our Harley dealer is 100% Harley, they wont work on anything else, but if I take them the wheel and new tire, they do a pretty nice job fitting and balancing.

I don't call them giant air compressors, they are more suitable as boat anchors.
Our Harley dealer is 100% Harley, they wont work on anything else, but if I take them the wheel and new tire, they do a pretty nice job fitting and balancing.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRW49fy50Ei7TLZT0DZaFhxIZlUhMto6LeMgm0Z08DHf4h0xd8L.jpg

c306d370d1066870819eb85c6eb15ffe--tattoo-ideas-family-sea-tattoo-ideas.jpg

Remove my BST 's myself , then down to a large bike shop , to a well known fella from the old days , we old school lads know , and he changes the tires . I know he's trained up a young lad now , so if he gives him the job , he will be good to go . Toad insists on care and respect when it comes to handing out work on his components .

Back