rear wheel alignment?

gsteve

Registered
Ive read here where guys say the witness marks are junk. Is there a better way without special tools?

I believe the shop manual says to use the marks. Mine seem to be accurate though. Try this thread it may be what you are looking for!

smile.gif

No they are not accurate on all bikes. Just use a micrometer or a string from dead center of the frame pivot poiint. Most case you can get it very close with the marks but not perfect.

NE how do you use a micrometer to measure it?
i use a dial caliper and measure the distance from the axle center to the end of the swingarm

There is a really easy but clever way to perfectly align your rear tire with a simple string. I had an old racer dude show me how and it does work quite well. It works best with jack stands on both front and rear but you must have a rear stand at a minimum. I don't think I can explain it thoroughly without having photos. I will try to get some photos later in the week. You'll see how simple it is but oh so effective. It's really important to have your bike in perfect alignment for it to perform well, especially if you do wheelies. You can't steer that heifer when you are up high if the rear tire is out! I have never had a bike that was aligned perfect with the marks. I have an 04 busa and it is out about the width of one mark on the swing frame. Those marks only get you close.

There is a really easy but clever way to perfectly align your rear tire with a simple string. I had an old racer dude show me how and it does work quite well. It works best with jack stands on both front and rear but you must have a rear stand at a minimum. I don't think I can explain it thoroughly without having photos. I will try to get some photos later in the week. You'll see how simple it is but oh so effective. It's really important to have your bike in perfect alignment for it to perform well, especially if you do wheelies. You can't steer that heifer when you are up high if the rear tire is out! I have never had a bike that was aligned perfect with the marks. I have an 04 busa and it is out about the width of one mark on the swing frame.  Those marks only get you close.
I posted how to do what you are describing quite a while ago (with pics)... And, above you will notice that my good buddy JT2 has posted a link to the article.

-Rip

I checked out the post and that is exactly what I had in mind. That is a great post for guys who are unsure just how to align their rear wheel. The wheel should always be aligned with the front wheel no matter what the marks say! As a matter of fact, I downloaded and saved the post for future reference when guys ask me how to align the rear wheel. Thanks T.O.

I use the Muzzy tool kicks azz[/QUOTE]
What is the Muzzy tool and where can I check it out'
I've been using the string method.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/stringalign0402/

Back