Rear turn signal mod

guido4512

Donating Member
Registered
I moved my rear turn signals - again. I just didn't like the way they looked hanging from the reflector brackets after I cut the rear shovel off- looked kinda cheap.And since I'm too cheap (poor)(financially challenged) to buy an undertail, I wanted to modify the way the rear signals looked. I wanted them tucked in closer to the bike so i got to thinking and here's what happened. It took me a couple hours to do and cost virtually nothing but time.

The before pic.
This is after I moved the signals from the rear shovel (removed) to the brackets where the reflectors were.......me not likey.
sad.gif
(check out the tire, too)

Dsc00407.jpg

First, I removed and dismantled the turn sig. I was going to just try and shorten the stalk - but no go.
Also I removed the rear plastic.....

<!--EDIT|guido4512
Reason for Edit: "Added plastic removal step"|1147099409 -->

Dsc00408.jpg

Next I removed the little plug and the end of the sig. wiring by using a piece of paper clip to release the prongs holding the connectors inside. This has to be done to allow the wires to pass through the rubber stalk, etc. (and i did not want to cut the wire.)

Dsc00409.jpg

But, the profile of the sig. mounting point doesn't match that of the fender so I had to do some modifying...........
The edge of the sig. had to be cut to an angle so that the sig. is square with the back of the bike. I used a grinder with a sanding disc to shape th edge to fit the fender....can't go back now.
cool.gif

Dsc00411.jpg

After I got a rough shape - I used some 80 grit paper on the bench to smooth out the shape. Then 100 grit. The profile had to be ground at two axis.... X axis an z axis (don't ask ) I just followed the shape of the fender and kept trial fitting until it looked right.
biggrin.gif

Dsc00412.jpg

ok iv'e got the shape right.
Now for attachment......... I marked the position using some marking chalk around the edge of the base .............

Dsc00415.jpg

Then I pressed the sig. against the plastic and marked the postion of the hole. The sig. had to be placed with enough clearance for the pin for the rear plastic - barely enough room!

Dsc00416.jpg

Using my mark - I centered a 1/4" hole for the mounting bolt and another 1/4" hole beside/ behind it for the wiring.

Hmmm----- the pic is corrupted and won't load.........

<!--EDIT|guido4512
Reason for Edit: "added pic"|1148478710 -->

Dsc00417.jpg

To mount - I used a 1/4 - 20 allen head with a stainless flat washer with a notch (to allow wire clearance). The washer fit the housing perfectly behind those two studs - I didn't measure the diameter
rock.gif
sad.gif

Dsc00418.jpg

Other side mounted, wired, tested, and plastic replaced- don't forget that dern cable for the lock.

Dsc00422.jpg

Nicely done. I like the chalk idea. BTW you can also use a heat gun to very slightly melt the finish on the stock undertail where u cut and sanded it. Makes for a nice finish. - K

Cool!! I was wanting to do that with my short staulk blinkers, but wasn't smart enough to think about shaving off the base to make the blinker sit correctly.

(by the way short staulk blinkers are lik $20 at the dealership, that would make it even MORE tight looking)

Good job!! Got me something to do one of these week nights! Thanks!!

Back