Rear tire needs changing for my 09 Busa

Sam the Busaman

Registered
Can anyone help in deciding which rear tire is the best for the busa?? I dont really want to stick with the same oem BT-015 tires. Also was wondering if I should go with fatter to a 200 instead of a 190 tire....is there any problems with going bigger size?? Thanks.

I did a similar research last year and picked Pirelli Angels: I am street/freeway only (no track, occasional weekend twisties), want longevity more than grip. Other choices that met these criteria were Michelin Pilot Road 2 and Avon Storms but picked the Angels because they were the cheapest.

Reading these threads helped validate my choice:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/tires/137323-pirelli-angel-tires-trip.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/tires/137909-official-mileage-pirelli-angels.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/tires/128535-mah-pirelli-angel-assesment.html

Don't see the reasoning for a 200 out back. 1st change was the Metzler M5, second was/is Pirelli Angel.
I did them both as sets and had success with each. I really like the Pirelli's. Good luck with your decision.

Some of this depends on your riding habits. Do you commute, ease around town, hit the twisties, drag race ? The 200 was close but good on the Gen I should be alright on the Gen II. I've been running Avon Storms for the past three years. the favorites around here are Avon, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, and for the 1/8 and 1/4 mile crowd Shinko.

Any of those tires will handle the task.

Because it's wider and looks cooler. Don't need any more reason than than. Have run 200's for the last 8 yrs on the Busa.

The 190 will handle better and turn in quicker. More round.

Lots of good info here, just have to search. What do you want to do with your tire, do you go to the track, hit the twisties, drag race, just ride around, ect. The 200 look will take some handeling away on the curves.

Because it's wider and looks cooler. Don't need any more reason than than. Have run 200's for the last 8 yrs on the Busa.

The 190 will handle better and turn in quicker. More round.

Just being on the Hayabusa is cool enough for me. The extra 10 mm really makes that much of a visual difference?
Added cool bonus, the big girl actually handles and turns in quick with a 190! To each his own, but I could care less if
others think my rear tire looks cool.

get a $200 set of Dunlop Q2 Qualifiers. stickest street tire i have found. and i tour ride. at the moment i cant think of any better tire. :thumbs:

I favor the Q2's and the Avon Storms. But I wouldnt put the Avons on the track again. What kind of riding do you do?

Asking which tire is best is like asking which oil, or what color paint is best. I personally like PR2/PR3 by Michelin. Although, that is because my Hayabusa is a sport/touring bike and I do a lot of highway riding. You will have to just take some time and research the tires yourself and find one that you like.

I assume by your post you are only replacing the rear tire? If so, stick with a Bridgestone. Your busa will thank you!

The BT015 that came stock on your busa has been upgraded with a BT016 which is dual compound. Great tire! My second choice only to the Dunlop Q2.

Another option is the Bridgestone BT023 which is a dual compound touring tire. I run the BT016 on the front and the BT023 on the rear for my busa activities. Good combination with considerably longer life since the 23 lasts about twice as long as the 16!

If you are replacing both tires there are lots of choices depending entirely on your demands of the tire!

Yes, a 200 series tire works just fine on your busa and you'll notice no difference in the ride or performance!

Tuf, I'm using the Dunlop Roadsmarts front and back. So far so good they seem to stick very good for my touring/hooligan riding. I would recommend the Dunlop Qualifiers too. Whatever is cheapest.....

Back