Rear Tire Hitting Belly Pan Question

Fireman6615

Registered
Hey guys, looking for a little expertise advice here. After researching here I changed the rear sprocket on my Gen1 to a 43 tooth and kept the stock length chain and I really liked the new feel. Also after researching here I did the 1 inch raising links and went with a 55 series rear tire to get it to turn a little better. Only problem now is the tire is hitting hitting the Bellypan. So I had to go back with the stock sprocket. So question is if I change the front sprocket to a 16 and the rear to a 42 and keep the stock length chain does anyone know if it will clear the Bellypan? The chain only has about 3000 miles on it and I really don't want to replace it just yet. Been doing a lot of reading here but just can't find the answer. Thanks as always.

Hey guys, looking for a little expertise advice here. After researching here I changed the rear sprocket on my Gen1 to a 43 tooth and kept the stock length chain and I really liked the new feel. Also after researching here I did the 1 inch raising links and went with a 55 series rear tire to get it to turn a little better. Only problem now is the tire is hitting hitting the Bellypan. So I had to go back with the stock sprocket. So question is if I change the front sprocket to a 16 and the rear to a 42 and keep the stock length chain does anyone know if it will clear the Bellypan? The chain only has about 3000 miles on it and I really don't want to replace it just yet. Been doing a lot of reading here but just can't find the answer. Thanks as always.

I'm not too sure on how the chain length is effected by sprocket changes, I'm still running stock. But wouldn't a new chain be cheaper than buying 2 new quality sprockets? I bought my zzz after seeing it a lot on here for 119$ on amazon.

Why don't you just dremel some of the belly wing off? Can you show pics? Are you talking about the wing or the undertail?

The 16/42 will definitely move the rear wheel back further than the 17/43.
I can't say how much, but I would think it would be enough; as you wouldn't have clearance issues with the 50 series tire and 17/43.
The 55 isn't that much taller than the 50(I forget exactly how much), but adding the 55 is the equivalent of going down 1 to 1.5 teeth on the rear sprocket in terms of overall gearing.
I'de try a 16t front by itself first, as it's the cheapest option and may be enough without switching the rear to a 42.
Or you can always switch back a 50 series tire, as you already have links raising the rear. The sprocket lowered your gearing, and the 55 raised the gearing up some. So your kinda in the middle now.

I'm unsure if the chain length would effect it, a larger rear sprocket would lower where the chain actually sits (the larger the R sprocket, the higher the high and lower the low) I'd agree that modifying the belly pan would be the best option, or TigerRacing sells an aluminum belly pan which would stand up to greater abuse.. Just a thought

-D

Thanks for the input so far guys. I was going to Dremel off some of the wing and just put the 43 sprocket back on but was really concerned about the tire being to close to the swingarm at the front. So I thought about just changing out the front and rear sprockets to get the rear back some. Great advise there sixpack, good explanation, didn't think about the tire size affecting gearing. I was going to switch back to the 50 when I wore this one out, it sits a little high with the raising links and the 55 tire but it sure does carve the corners with hardly no input on the bars.

Belly Pan? Whats that? Who needs a Belly Pan? I got rid of mine long ago, i think the bike looks better that way....

Do Belly Pans even serve a purpose?

Belly Pan? Whats that? Who needs a Belly Pan? I got rid of mine long ago, i think the bike looks better that way....

Do Belly Pans even serve a purpose?

The belly pan is really only needed for top speed runs.
You would definitely want it for land speed racing. It helps direct air around the rear tire and may be the difference in that extra mph on top.

I'm unsure if the chain length would effect it, a larger rear sprocket would lower where the chain actually sits (the larger the R sprocket, the higher the high and lower the low) I'd agree that modifying the belly pan would be the best option, or TigerRacing sells an aluminum belly pan which would stand up to greater abuse.. Just a thought

-D

Yes, you could add a couple links to the chain and that would move the axle back and the wheel away from the belly pan.
Downside is that you already have the chain, and that would require 2 masterlinks.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I was going to Dremel off some of the wing and just put the 43 sprocket back on but was really concerned about the tire being to close to the swingarm at the front. So I thought about just changing out the front and rear sprockets to get the rear back some. Great advise there sixpack, good explanation, didn't think about the tire size affecting gearing. I was going to switch back to the 50 when I wore this one out, it sits a little high with the raising links and the 55 tire but it sure does carve the corners with hardly no input on the bars.

A 55 tire and the links together is preference. As you know they both do about the same thing individually.
If you don't mind going back to a 50 series that will solve your problem, and you'll pick up a little acceleration from the shorter tire/lower gearing.

how does the sprocket siz ematter with the tire rubbing the belly? Is the tire adjusted ALL the way forward ? If so that is the issue , I would just dremel the belly pan a little bit . Its free and nobody will ever know.

how does the sprocket siz ematter with the tire rubbing the belly? Is the tire adjusted ALL the way forward ? If so that is the issue , I would just dremel the belly pan a little bit . Its free and nobody will ever know.

Yea, when I went up 3 on the rear sprocket and added the 55 tire it pulled it all forward, almost to the point to where it was touching the swingarm at the front. So now its just hitting the belly wing. When I had the 50 series tire on it wasn't touching. Thinking about doing the dremel thing.

I would , remember that your speedo is going to be off now . 55 tire is like going down 1.5 in the rear but you went up 3. did you go down in the front 1?

Delete the Belly Pan, it serves no purpose for you on that Gen I. If it's a very minor amount of rub, dremel it. You don't drag race so I would stay away from the front 16, it is said to be binding and wears the front sprocket and chain out faster. :dunno:

Back