Rear tire for dyno. Help...

Quarter_dragga

Registered
Ryan Schnitz informed me that I need to put a harder rear tire on for the dyno. I can get a Continental Sport Attack Hypersport Radial for a good price. Will this tire be hard enough? Or can someone please inform me of a tire that will be suitable for this tuning session on the dyno. I have a Shinko 003 on right now.

Not a silly question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer but have seen other threads that mentioned how the rear tire could affect dyno numbers. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon.

Don't use any of the soft tires like a Shinko, Power One, etc...it will just eat itself, rob power and melt/ball up on the dyno after a few runs.

Find a factory Battlax or something equal. None will last on the dyno if you are tuning big power but at least it won't rob you as much if you're looking for a number..

I'm not familiar with dyno-tuning, but the hardest tire I know of is a Shinko 009 or Raven. I used it on my bike on the street and it was not that great. It's hard and has a square profile. Shinko sells it as a sport-touring tire. If you're only going to use it for the dyno it will last a long time, and it's cheap around $95 to $100.
Once mounted it was very flat on the face and had a pronounced shoulder, I didn't care for the way it felt on the road.

Just be careful because if you get one that's to hard and cheap it won't hook on the dyno and it'll just spin even with plenty of straps...

Back