Rear sprocket

busakidaz

Registered
I'm gonna put a new rear sprocket on. Hope yall could help me on a few questions about them.

Stock is 17/40 04'. I want to go +3 or 4 (17/43;44)

Vortex seems to be the best quality.

What is 520 conversion?

Will I need any thing else if do this mod? (new chain?)

How bad would it be to go +5 for street use?

Any dealers wanna just point me to what I need?

i am currently running a 12/43 but waiting for my 16/45 to come in. i went with vortex but i am having it chromed so ive been waiting for like 3 weeks. And yes it is a good idea to also replace the chain.

Not a fan of aluminum sprockets... They don't last w/ stronger chains.
You should honestly replace both sprockets and chain in one shot. If you don't, the different wear pattern will shorten the life of all 3.

I'm running 17/45 Vortex Cat 5 sprockets with EK ZZZ chain on my 08, and have had no problems. Have friends with the same set up with no problems also.:thumbsup:

i am running 520 chain but with a good chain and a aluminium sprocket.You can do that with aftermarket wheels or gixxer 1k wheels.They really dont last.especially for the rear aluminium sprocket.Its my 2nd set already.The pros is its so much lighter,torque and mid range increases.

Front and rear afam sprocket,chain DID O ring 520 for now.:beerchug:

How many miles are on your chain now? If there is not many you can just replace the rear sprocket with a cheaper steel sprocket.... +3 on the rear will allow you to use the stock length of chain. Try that for a while and then you will have a sense of what direction you would like to go.
At that time spend the big bucks on New chain , new front and rear sprockets.
I am not sure about alum. toothed sprockets.. We use to eat them up on our dirt bikes back in the day.:laugh:

Stock replacement rear steel sprocket 43T 40 dollars
Advanced kit, chain both sprockets,chain 250 dollars

chain and sprockets.jpg

The rear look like Sprox sprockets.If it is its a good 1,too bad it doesnt manufacture for my aftermarket wheels

D.I.D. so they are better because its combo steel and something light?

I don't have that many miles on my chain but 250 isn't asking a whole lot.

Supersprox is a nice rear sprocket.. I have a 45T for my 08 but waiting to replace the chain before I install it. I have almost 11k on her so far...

17/43 will liven it up dramatically. Dont go smaller on the front. It is hard on the chain. I sometimes still run 17/43 for around town, but now have 17/39 for highway trips. have fun. :beerchug:

you can run up to 43 without change'n the chain. I sugest change'n all three. If you don't you'll get a nasty buzz until they mate. I've also been told the 17/43 will come up real easy.
Another thing to take in to account. you'll need to get a speedohealer to keep popo off your back.

Back