Rear sprocket play

czeebBusa

Registered
I had someone new change out my tires yesterday on my 06. I also decided to try the balancing beads instead of regular balancing with weights. When I got going down the higway, I started to get a vibration in the whole bike from front to back. I can feel it in my handle bars as well as my feet.
After I got home, I was inspecting the chain when I noticed that the rear sprocket has a good deal of side to side play. The chain can move on the sprocket, but the sprocket itself can move side to side.

Is this normal?
Did this person not tighten my rear axle correctly?
Is it the beads that just can't balance?

Any insight would be very helpful.
Thanks

I'd guess if you had no vibration before your tire change that it's the beads?

However, you should have no side to side play in the sprocket. Side to side play would indicate to me you have a bad bearing unless the sprocket bolts are loose.

By all means, remove the wheel and check the bearings in the cush drive hub as well as the wheel. This is not something the guy mounting the tire would normally check unless you ask him to!

Spacers and cush rubbers. Spacers will give the side-to-side movement of the entire wheel. Cush rubbers will give the front to back slack.

The lack of spacers will also cause the vibration you are feeling while you ride.

I had someone new change out my tires yesterday on my 06. I also decided to try the balancing beads instead of regular balancing with weights. When I got going down the higway, I started to get a vibration in the whole bike from front to back. I can feel it in my handle bars as well as my feet.
After I got home, I was inspecting the chain when I noticed that the rear sprocket has a good deal of side to side play. The chain can move on the sprocket, but the sprocket itself can move side to side.

Is this normal?
Did this person not tighten my rear axle correctly?
Is it the beads that just can't balance?

Any insight would be very helpful.
Thanks
Beads and water dont mix how wet did you get the tires when changing i have dyna bead in my new tires and dont have a problem

Back