Rear sprocket movement

binx

Registered
I was cleaning my bike and noticed that the rear sprocket move from side to side about an 1/8" or so. Never noticed it before, is it normal. Do I need new cush rubbers. The sprocket it tight to the hub and all others nuts and bolts per say..are tight.

dont know if its normal but mine are the same way. no back and forth just a little side to side.

If it's forward and aft movement it's the cush drive.

If it's side to side movement it's the bearings.

Pull that puppy apart and check the bearings before they come apart and leave you stranded or throw the chain and create havock!

IF it's the bearings wouldn't the wheel have a little side to side movement also not just the hub and sprocket. ???

To be clear, you are only talking about the sprocket and not the entire wheel, correct?

The wheel assembly has three bearings, one on each side of he wheel itself and one in the cush drive assembly. It's the bearing in the cush drive assembly that would give the side to side movement.

However, if it were me and the cush drive bearing was ready for replacement, I replace all three bearings.

Mine has some play in and out from what I am told is normal.Its the front to back movement indicates worn rubbers inside the cush drive.I had mine apart and the bearings are nice and tight and roll smooth.

Yeah... My sprocket moved side-to-side when I pulled the wheels for new tires at just over 3000 miles. It's just not a super tight fit. That was 5000 miles ago, and no issues yet...?

Theres 8300 on the bike and changed the sprockets and chain at 7000. Didnt notice it then, but didnt check it either. Bike runs fine just didnt want to ruin something. Im due for a tire in another 1000 or so, can I make it till then to change the Cush ?

There should be no side to side play! if the Cush rubbers are bad you will be able move the sprocket forward and backward just a hare. mine need replaced just noticed it last night when I was cleaning my chain

Let me rephrase what I said.I guess its not side to side play, its more of some flex.It doesnt actually move in and out, just flex from the rubber being soft I guess.

Back