Rear sprocket bolts

giphy.gif

#ChuckNorris ~ #GivesAthumbUp ~ #THEoRg *

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/what-the-sprocket-bolts-to.94206/

Yes the nuts I got said 30ftlbs
That just felt way too damn loose.
Torqued down to 40
sorry for digging older thread but wanted to know if it is safe to use aluminium nuts instead of the OEM ones (rear sprocket nuts).I think the safest bet would be TI bolts but can aluminium ones can also be used.

View attachment 1669501
i tried some of these from pro bolt but they keep splitting. i torqued them to pro bolts recommend specs and every single one slowly developed a crack. i switched to Ti and no issues since.
I was about to order these but was little bit skeptical as the torquing specs was much lower than what’s given in the manual.Thank you for clearing my doubt.I truly appreciate.Will definitely go with Ti bolts now.

Reactions: pcs
Ti is the way to go.....and they are inexpensive.
Even I want Ti bolts but the problem is that the colour I want (wine red) is only available in aluminium bolt.Ti bolts are only available in purple,gold,black and rainbow.Only because of the colour I was inclined towards buying aluminium ones but now will definitely by Ti as the torquing specs says ’as recommended by manufacturer’. Thank you for the reply.I truly appreciate.

The torque spec is lower because of the materials, titanium fasteners that go into aluminum and steel threads...which can cause gauling, when 2 different metals meet and can bind together.
Similiar principle when using anti-sieze, especially on stainless steel, where the torque rating must be reduced by 10%, otherwise the smoothness of the assembly can make it easier to over torque.
And, given the strength of titanium, a ti fastener can easily strip threads made of other materials.
If you are still concerned about a fastener vibrating loose, especially from a lower torque rating, then medium thread-locker is a good idea, just be aware of location, as certain fasteners should not get thread-locker or anti-sieze, like cylinder head bolts.
Most fasteners are fine to use either, but check if you are not sure.

The torque spec is lower because of the materials, titanium fasteners that go into aluminum and steel threads...which can cause gauling, when 2 different metals meet and can bind together.
Similiar principle when using anti-sieze, especially on stainless steel, where the torque rating must be reduced by 10%, otherwise the smoothness of the assembly can make it easier to over torque.
And, given the strength of titanium, a ti fastener can easily strip threads made of other materials.
If you are still concerned about a fastener vibrating loose, especially from a lower torque rating, then medium thread-locker is a good idea, just be aware of location, as certain fasteners should not get thread-locker or anti-sieze, like cylinder head bolts.
Most fasteners are fine to use either, but check if you are not sure.
Thank you for all the information shared. Never knew of such technicality.This info will be of great use for me in future.I truly appreciate.

Back